Matching Sun animation to Grasshopper output

Just to close the loop on my portion of this issue. It seems to be working quite nicely in the latest beta. (BETA
(6.0.17339.11131, 12/05/2017).

Perhaps this next question should be a separate topic…Would it be possible to get the native Sun Animation to respect the lights in a custom Display mode? For example, below is some test output using GH.
PS_ExportLegacy
GH File setup using some Ladybug and Proving Ground’s Conduit components

The Rhino file has one plane light manually added, (this was done in attempts to “lighten up” the shadows a bit so they weren’t solid black…maybe there is a better way?)

When trying to recreate in the native sun animation setup, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my custom display was available to choose as an output, (had wanted this before and had some trouble getting it to stick).
Animation Setting
When I choose Hanley3, (custom display mode, modified copy of Pen mode), and run the native one day sun animation, the shadows are black.
PS_ExportLegacy_Native

Long walk back to the question…Can the Native Sun Animation tool be set, in some way, to give the same output as I got from the GH example?

Custom Display Mode: Hanley3.ini (11.3 KB)
Rhino File: PenDisplayCopyTest.3dm (316.4 KB)
GH File: (requires LadyBug and Conduit: Conduit for Grasshopper – PROVING GROUND Optional for displaying data on screen).
Diagram_Shadows.gh (380.0 KB)

1 Like

A combination of three settings should get you non-black sun shadows in the animation. First turn on GPU lighting in the display mode…

Then make sure the Skylight is on in the Rendering panel.

I think you’ll be good at this point but if you want to you can also lighten the shadow color back in the display mode here…

Does that work for you? I have not added ladybug or the conduit to test your GH def but it looks pretty neat.

One more thing, there’s a bug that still exists in the 6.0 beta where copies of technical modes become non-technical modes if you go into the ‘other settings’ section of the mode and start changing things… so just avoid that part of the display mode settings for now if you are working with copies of technical modes. Otherwise you’ll lose your silhouettes.

Hi @chanley,

We’ve got this bug on our radar to look at shortly after we get Rhino 6 out the door. No, I don’t have any dates for you yet. Thanks for your patience!

Man you guys are on the ball! Thanks for the tips! This absolutely gets me close enough to what I was shooting for, (a “quick” way to do some stylized sketch studies).
PS_ExportLegacy_Native2
(the color banding is a result of quick GIF export from Photoshop, not rhino’s issue).

2 Likes