Mark's Odds and Ends Bug List

Well I’ve got PCalc, which works, just would be nice to have it in app (or remove it from the documentation).

Been using RPN calc’s for as long as I’ve owned an HP RPN calc which has been decades. I get on an AOS calc and I have no idea what the hell to do with an “=” key.

It’s just a minor issue really, but underscores how out of sync the online help is with the reality of the UI of the Mac version.

The whole bit on customizing the UI shows so many screen shots of what is obviously the windows version, with a lot of referring to be able to create new tabs in the ribbon bar etc, which quite obviously don’t work / aren’t present in the mac version.

More than anything I’d just like a clear picture of how the UI customization ACTUALLY works.

My theme pref is set to custom so I can get the ribbon bar and the top tool palette, which essentially makes my UI completely out of sync with anything in the online help. The stock mac layout with the wide palette on the left is pretty clunky.

I find this somewhat comical: I’ve set my osnaps off on the sidebar, but there they are. I’ve got the osnap settings mapped to a spare button on my kensington trackball, as it saves a trip over to the sidebar, and gives more room for tool icons on the sidebar, yet often the snap settings show up of their own accord for no explicable reason when I have them set off.

I have no clue why the sidebar pallette selector is grayed out, it’s always been that way and I can’t figure out what I need to do to change it.

The sidebar tools= remains with the same set of tools for the Standard, Cplanes, set view, display, select, viewport layout, visibility, and transform tabs, but changes for curves, surface, solids and mesh tools.

I’d love to be able to modify what’s on there at all times, as there’s quite a few tools I use a lot regardless of what mode I’m in operations wise, and it’d be nice to have them always available. I don’t care where, just as long as I can get to them. I’m not a huge fan of floating palettes as they inevitably get in the way when you don’t want them to.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, the majority of the modeling tools and overall functionality of Rhino mac is very stable and works quite well, it’s just the UI layer and presentation that’s dodgy and inconsistent. I’m not adverse to learning a new interface (Blender comes to mind as an extreme example of nonstandard UI approaches) but it helps a lot if it’s consistent and theres some type of logic to it that once you understand it and know how it’s works you can get to a point where you know to do things even if they’re foreign at first. However getting there is much harder when even the online help is out of sync with how things actually work.

I can’t count the number of times where I’ve ran into “this topic is not documented”. I get it’s a WIP / Beta, but hey, there’s an announced ship date pending, and this still feels pretty beta on that front, and UI customization may be closer than I think but without any clear and accurate docs on it, it’s pretty hard to get there.