Mark's Odds and Ends Bug List

This is related to: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28230.

I thought this was a Rhino for Mac issue. If the issue is listed under Rhino for Windows V6 with no mention of it being related to Mac Rhino, we won’t know that this has been fixed in Mac Rhino.

I’m pretty confused.

I’m confused, too. There may be another bug. Also we had a long discussion about this a month or so ago. I’ll do some further digging.

1 Like

Discovered another item this morning. My only internet connection at home is a Mobile Hotstpot. It’s slow to say the least, and doesn’t always work so good. So this morning it dropped the connection to my desktop box and I didn’t notice as I wasn’t using any web stuff at that point) and any and all help came up with a white screen (which had me thinking the Whiteout bug had migrated to the help window as well). Once I figured out the net connection was down it dawned on me that the help was pulling it’s content from an online connection.

Uh… Please tell me the help will be bundled in the the App’s resources folder. Not everybody has a full time all the time net connection, particularly when we’re paying out the nose per mb of use. I’d hate to have online help usage add $20 a month to my phone bill.

This should be good now…well, as good as you get when the commands are actually missing :blush:

Thanks for your patience with this.

Does this sound familiar?

1 Like

Kinna sorta yip.

So the only workaround in the V5 cycle will be to temporarily “block the group.” It looks like there are some enhancements to gumball vis-a-vis groups in the V6 cycle…but, since Rhino 5 for Mac is V5, I think the workaround is the best we can do for now. Not ideal, I know.

Commendations to @LewnWorx for this excellent compilation! ~Dave

I second that. It’s much appreciated.

I have but only one tiny gripe - and I hesitate to even bring it up - but here goes. The fact that these are lumped together into a single thread on Discourse makes it challenging to track (for me). I believe this - coupled with the run-up to initial commercial release - is why this did not make it on my radar until more than a month later. Perhaps this is a limitation of Discourse (we have been trying to see what we can do). Splitting them up into separate threads would be nice…

…but please don’t let the medium (or my gripe) get in the way of the message. Thanks again for the list @LewnWorx.

Dan,

Can you clarify a little? Do you prefer separate topics for each item OR separate posts for each item in one topic?

~Dave

In the case of this list, I guess I would have preferred separate topics…using this topic as an example, you have:

• Groups
  • Customized Commands
  • Missing Utilities
  • Help issues
  • Help offline

So, Discourse has that nice feature where I can split off into a separate linked topic, which is what I used…but, as threads do, things started to focus on one or the other, but they get interwoven and chasing down what relates to what is work (ok, work for just me)…which is fine (that’s my job), but I’m just trying to say that they might get attention quicker if I’m not having to tease apart what relates to which topic in the same topic.

Ok, now I’m starting to feel picky and pedantic…that’s not what I want. Again, thanks for the list and the continued help!

Hmmmm… This would split a “wish list” thread into many, many different topics. That doesn’t seem ideal unless Discourse could handle tagging. C’est possible? ~Dave

Why not?
I can see that it takes a bit more time to write but the discussions will be more focused in a single thread with a single wish and in the end all wishes need to be converted to each their own issue in YouTrack anyway.

Whatever you want to do with em is fine by me, I was just tossing em out there.

I’d be more involved right now but am in the process of trying to move my lovely new wife out of her place in ft worth to Wylie 90 miles away amidst not one but two dead transmissions in the truck in a row (2nd one failed 30 miles down the road after it was picked up from the shop where it broke down in OK a month ago), and that was the start if a ripple down of logistical hell some Hollywood screenwriters couldn’t have come up with if they tried. So I’ve been keeping an eye on the forums but haven’t had much in terms of on hands time with rhino to elucidate much on the topics.

@Wim : If all suggestions are one topic, solely with related comments, this would eliminate things like a central “wish” topic, creating many “wish” topics.

While this might be ok, it seems a bit easier to browse one topic and add a wish if it’s not there than have to search for and read many different wish topics.

If tagging were permitted (and possibly even required?) , the separate topics idea proposed by Dan would at least make the process of reviewing related topics a bit easier.

Alternatively, a “wish” category could be added by McNeel for Mac, Win, and both Mac/Win. This would easily allow for Dan’s idea of separate topics, while making browsing easier for all. I proposed this a few weeks ago, but the idea got no love – but in the absence of tagging, this still seems to make sense possibly? ~Dave

Holy Yikes… Good Luck!!!

In case you hadn’t noticed, the original poster of a topic can add tags…

–Mitch

Yes, but that is only on the thread itself. Dave would like to tag each separate wish in a single thread (if I understand correctly).

Note, Dave, you don’t have to start searching for earlier wishes to see if yours has come up before. Having the same wish come up time and time again will (can) guide priorities in one direction or another.

@wim has got the gist of what I’m saying—tagging in the replies could help a bit.

As for the tagging ability of original posters that you mention, Mitch, even a limited number of popup options when one clicks on this might help filtering/finding.

Sure, users don’t have to scrub Discourse to see if something already exists, but most people try very hard to be thorough and detailed with their descriptions of problems and wishes. Given that this takes a good deal of time, it would be nice to give folks a way to see if their wish has already been brought up. Hence, the benefit of a long Wish topic filled with lots of different ideas. However, this clearly isn’t optimal for McNeel’s purposes, as Dan notes. Yes, I realize his request is not an ironclad overlord kind of thought, and he’ll work with anything we all do—but it does point to an area for possible improvement.

With regard to the larger topic of Discourse if there are larger discussions about organization/optimization. First, I think it’s a superb method for both McNeel and users. That said, and as it’s currently set up, it’s better at handling “issues” than “wishes”. This distinction is noteworthy. Wishes represent opportunities for product improvement, often requiring a much greater amount of discussion to assess agreement and optimal solutions (a great example being the “lightbulb” discussion a year or so ago in Layers for Mac).

Further, wishes are a bit complicated by the fact that MacRhino is now launched (but not yet fully developed) and WinRhino is fully developed. Thus, wishes may exist on a number of levels:
A) MacRhino: "I want a feature that does not exist in MacRhino, but does exist in WinRhino"
B) MacRhino: "I want a feature for MacRhino, and I don’t use or care about WinRhino"
C) WinRhino: "I want a feature for WinRhino, and I don’t use or care about MacRhino"
D) MacRhino/WinRhino: “This would be a really great feature for all future Rhino versions”

The current discourse is organized to facilitate wishes of type A, B, and C. However, the most important topic for the future of Rhino as a whole—Topic D—does not have a mechanism for discussion. Ultimately, as the products grow together the entire community benefits from the wisdom, thoughts, ideas, and experiences of everyone. Windows users bring a long history of institutional knowledge to the table and Mac users bring a set of fresh eyes. Both are invaluable.

What to do about this? Dunno. If there was a Mac/Win Rhino category, seems like everyone might be able to discuss ideal solutions (instead of me seeming like a crank much of the time!). :slight_smile: ~Dave