Map grids/patterns to polysurface

Hello Community,

Is it possible to create a grid pattern on a polysurface that wraps around it?

I am looking for guidance to ultimately create a texture similar to the image attached but also be able to control a fade away effect to the edges but my first challenge is the grid pattern.

My starting geometry (internalized) is a simple rhino box with a filet to the top edge. There’s nothing really of substance in the gh file as I am stumbling at step 1. I’m wondering if this is not the best approach. Is a mesh more appropriate, I don’t have the experience to know.

Thank you in advance to anyone wishing to help me on this.

tex.gh (7.0 KB)
Capture

Have you looked at the Lunchbox addin?
LUNCHBOX on FOOD4RHINO

Hi Martynhogg,

I was going to lunchbox for the paneling but the mapping to a trimmed polysurface is where I am stuck.

hi,
Due to the topology of your shape, I think that wrapping a grid around it might prove to be a difficult task. (it has double curvature and no distinct naked edges)

generally grids work well with surfaces that have four edges and it’s difficult to analyze your shape in this way.
There are geniuses in this forum that can probably do it easily (not me :frowning: ) but I’m guessing you wouldn’t even be able to understand what they are doing.

as Martyn said, generally Lunchbox is a plugin usually used for paneling of this kind but it works with single surfaces -not polysurfaces-

1 Like

Thanks Aris for your comments.

I have tried to map a grid to the surface but I am not getting the results most likely for the reasons you mention.tex.gh (7.2 KB)

Not anymore on my pc but if I may suggest something: if it is intended just for visualization it would be much much easier just to map a texture and work with bumps/displacement.
(not a grasshopper solution but a solution nonetheless) :slight_smile:

Thanks Aris, nice idea for visualization but I’m hoping to do some tests for making moulds with the geometry. I found patch surface got me close but the resulting surface was very bumpy/lumpy and not exactly like the initial polysurface.

Learn to work with meshes and mesh faces. Best way to do that stuff. Let the mesh topology do the work for you.

Thanks Michael, i had a feeling that would be the best approach.