Making a bold line

I want to reproduce the heave lines shown in the product I’m trying to model. As you can see from the shot, I’m not succeeding. How does one do this sort of thing?

to control the thickness of an individual curve (instead of changing the size globally for all curves), you can do the following:

call the command PrintDisplay and turn it on… (this will show the viewport in a similar manner as printing the file will result in)

in object properties, use the Print Width dropdown menu for line sizes.

your selected line will now conform to the chosen size.

(you can also change print color and/or linetype here)

Thanks Jeff. I noticed however the lines don’t scale up and down. Is there some way to control that?

hmm. what do you mean by scale?
they don’t change in thickness?
did you use the PrintDisplay command set to On?

the selected line looks thicker than the one in your original post… or have you changed some other setting since then?

what if you set Print Width to 2.0? do you see any change then?
you can also fiddle with the ‘thickness’ option in PrintDisplay dialog… setting it to something higher than the default 40, you’ll get more dramatic changes in line width appearance

The only difference in the apparent size of the line is the zoom function.

It looks like you may not have a full understanding of details here.

Lines and curves have no thickness in Rhino.
When printed, curves can have a print width.
Print width can be set as a layer property or an object property.
Rhino uses the old manual pen size standard for print width.
Rhino includes the standard sizes (in millimeters) we used years ago in manual drafting.
0.25 is a thin print width. o.5 or o.7 are getting pretty wide.
To see a rough approximation of the print width in the model environment, the PrintDisplay command is used as Jeff mentioned.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. I like the use of the old technical pen sizes. I gather the solution is to make very thin width surfaces, or perhaps paste in a photo texture?

[quote=“JKayten, post:9, topic:27192, full:true”] I gather the solution is to make very thin width surfaces, or perhaps paste in a photo texture?
[/quote]

what? i wouldn’t do that. (well, the texture idea is viable but using rectangle surfaces instead of lines could be a real bad idea in many circumstances… not to mention it’s unnecessarily time consuming)

maybe i’m just missing what you’re trying to do.

do you want to be able to do this in your viewport:
?

because if so, it’s done the same way as i described already.

another way to say what John is getting at is if i were to send this file to CNC, each line will be cut as if it were drawn at default settings… it’s still just a line going from point A to point B…

altering the PrintDisplay does absolutely nothing to affect the geometry or modify the model in any way… it simply makes it appear, visually, as if you’ve drawn it with a fatter or thinner pencil.

the 6 lines shown above are exact copies of the other ones… they’re identical to each other… only the output, the way we perceive them, has changed.

if you were to use rectangles instead, you’re creating a whole different geometry in the file… CNC would cut the ‘bold’ lines wider and the thinner ones thinner…

can you try to clarify again what you’re looking to do… using different images/words to restate the question… it’s probable i’m not interpreting properly.

No. Don’t draw surfaces with width for this display desire.

I’m trying to use lines in a graphic display mode rather than a 3d model mode. The real world part I’m trying to model has lines printed on it’s surface - LED tape - that locates attached objects.

OK.
THIS is where we should have started; with a description of the PROBLEM you’re trying to solve, instead of chasing down a solution without understanding the problem.

I’m guessing that this should be a material/texture/decal sort of approach to give the appearance of this “LED tape” that I’m not familiar with.

Can you expand on this more please? Can you supply some sort of mockup of the effect you’re after? We need to fully understand the problem.

<a class=“attachment”

href=“https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/a/f/af1ef6e8348e9a893a7752ef9a77c8631e418a74.3dm”>LED_RGB.3dm (286.5 KB)

Just checking in. Is what I sent enough to continue? I included the model in all it’s glory.

It would help me if you posted a simple, mocked up image of what you’re trying to accomplish.
You posted shots of the settings you’re messing with so I can’t figure out the specifics of what you’re after.

The shots I sent show the image I’m wanting to duplicate.

• regarding the image you posted that has the PrintDisplay dialog visible in the shot:

it appears you have traced lines on top of a picture you imported…
those lines appear ‘bold’

• regarding the other image with the Linetypes panel showing…
the selected line appears dashed and thinner

from what i can gather, you would like to make bold lines… is that right?
because to me, your image shows that you have made a line appear bolder.

i’m sorry J but i’m very confused right now :confused:
i don’t think you’re being very clear at all… these images you’re posting are not doing anything to state your question in a concise manner… in fact, they’re adding confusion to your readers since they’re showing a lot of different things with no sort of explanation as to what you want us to look at in the screenshot.

Sorry to cause confusion. I’d included the model with the previous post so it could be inspected. Here’s a shot of the image I’m using to model from. There are lines printed on the surface of the LED tape that I want to create in the model. The earlier pics were to show the results I got using the earlier methods recommended. Does that clear things up?

hmm… not really… because earlier you posted a picture showing this:

and now you’re showing this pic:

the first one shows bold lines.
the second one doesn’t.

do you agree the lines in the top picture are bold whereas the second picture shows thinner lines?