Make2D suddenly not working

I haven’t had any issues with the Make2D command in rhino 6, in fact it greatly improved in 6…until yesterday. all of a sudden it’s not working properly. when it does, it takes FOREVER, and i can only use the command 2 or 3 times until it refuses to work at all and i have to force the program to quit. the only thing i’ve done before this issue came up is load a new plugin. its very possible that it’s an issue with my machine, but since i’ve had other bugs with the latest build i though i’d see if anyone else has experience a similar issue.

which plugin did you install?

Hello - the test would be to disable the new plug-in in Options > Plug-ins page and then restart Rhino and see if the problem persists.

-Pascal

i installed ‘Xirus CAD’

https://www.food4rhino.com/app/xiruscad-alpha?fbclid=IwAR2-uluc__UK3PdnDuiHFXpzfSaphb8k6d7yC5PVFxYzgdQuL6De1AMxDKc

i tried that…still a problem. i just can’t figure out what would have happened with my computer overnight to have this issue come up. i was wondering if it could have anything to do with the latest rhino build, since i’ve had a couple other little issues, but it seems more likely that it’s something with my computer i guess.

Hello - the other thing to try is to start Rhino in Safe Mode and see… also, see if the problem is with specific files or across the board.

-Pascal

Apparently another question to keep in mind is: did Windows update itself overnight and change a driver or two?

1 Like

Hello everyone!
I’m facing the same issue! I modelled something for my portfolio back in October last year, and I even generated some Illustrator files of some details. The project was left on hold and just today I tried to make2D and flatten it, and it’s loading FOR ETERNITY
It goes until 99% in about 10minutes, but then it never leaves that stage.

The model itself is 8Mb with many blocks with the details

Does anybody managed to solve this?!

I already tried:
Exploding everything (but then it gets craaaazy heavy and not fun anymore -like 45Mb)
Following all the steps here: https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/make2dtips

Hi - please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here.
Also, can you post the file so that we can check what is going on?

Semi OpenedR5.3dm (7.9 MB)

My notebook is a bit old (has 5 years now) but has some ok specs I’d say
16GB RAM - Windows 10
GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Thanks for that information!
Since you are running Rhino 5, we know that it wasn’t an update of Rhino that is causing things to not work like they did in October. There has probably been a Windows update during this period, and since your GPU drivers are getting old, I would first try updating these to see if that makes a difference.

There’s an updated driver available here:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/144365/en-us

I will give it a try!
Thank you for the amazingly fast reply!

Hi,
I’m experiencing the same type of problem. My Make2D can’t seem to work on my bigger files. It progressively got worse. It was always a little slow but recently it doesn’t seem to work at all. To the point where if I do the command the file will freeze, and when I try cancel the command with esc, the ‘server busy’ pop-up shows, and I get stuck in a loop.

I’ve tried updating everything, the different drivers and windows software. I’ve uninstalled rhino and brought it back. I made my files smaller and tried the command with a smaller selection, but nothing seems to work.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

system info:
Rhino 7 SR24 2022-11-4 (Rhino 7, 7.24.22308.15001, Git hash:master @ cb2ad12922ceb989b185972675bb705a00abb97d)
License type: Educational, build 2022-11-04
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (NVidia) Memory: 10GB, Driver date: 11-13-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 526.98
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-24-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 11-13-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2698
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 10 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

@Kenan_Beker can you post a file that shows this behavior? If confidential, or too big, or both, you can upload your file here and address it to me (gijs@mcneel.com)

Hi @Kenan_Beker thanks for sending the file, I’ve taken a look at it and can confirm it’s taking a long time to compute. Did you make a 4 view out of it and at which settings? I found at least one object that is peculiar, which choked the make2d system completely here. (the square-sectioned SubD pipe that is wrapped around the tower)
I think there isn’t an awful lot you can do to solve this slowness, the model is quite dense. But I will make a non public report so that a developer can take look.
RH-71634 Make2d is very slow on this model

Hi Gijs de Zwart,

Thank you for taking the time. I’m not sure what you mean by a 4 view. But I generally put it at isometric view and use Make2D to make a drawing I can manipulate.

I’ll work on reducing the SubD pipe, I’ve tried finding ways to reduce the time for the Make2D and been going by tips on this page, How to Get Make2D to Perform Better [McNeel Wiki]

If you have any other suggestions, that would be helpful.

Thank you,

Kenan