Make2D Status

I have submitted many models to support that cause Make2D to create bad output. In fact, none of my significant models will create 2D. As a result, I have not been able to create a decent 2d plan since I switched to Rhino.

I get a continuous stream of requests for a set of 2D plans for some of my 3D models. The report from here was that Make2d would be fixed in Rhino 6 so I would tell people “after Rhino 6 comes out.” I still cannot get an acceptable plan from Make2D in Rhino 6.

This week I received a renewed request copying my previous response that after V6 comes out and that pointed out V6 has come out.

What should I tell people now?

By way of illustration, I get a lot of artifacts that bleed through:

Starting point:

Mak2d Gives

That is allowing hidden edges and surfaces to come through

When we get good, repeatable examples, they are added as defect reports for the developer. He prioritizes his work and works on fixes in development cycles. From a tech support point of view, there isn’t much else we can do.
I’ve sent him a private message to take a look and see if he still has examples from you.

As I’m sure you know, images that show problems are nearly worthless. We need simple, repeatable examples file files and settings. We then verify we can repeat the problem, then package and submit it to the developers.

I’ve sent in a number of files showing this problem.

I’ve asked the developer to see if he has them on his list.
Sometimes the fixes are pretty easy.
Sometimes they are impossible under the current design of the tools so they get saved as examples for the next major rewrite.
We’re probably not very good about communicating this.

Huge example files are a PITA and very inefficient for us to struggle with
Small, isolated, repeatable examples tend to move to the front of the line as the problem is efficient to find.

Hopefully @GregArden will have some news or guidance on how to best use the tool. In this case, without an example, I have no way to help.

Here is a fairly simple example. The problems here might be called nits but, as you get more complicated, they get much worse.
Problem Make2d.3dm (3.7 MB)

Make2d has not changed much in the last 6 months.
@bigjimslade, I know the Enterprise model you sent in. The bad news is that the way I currently do occlusion testing, (what’s in front what’s in back). Is not accurate enough to get all those cases correct. Thats why you get the artifacts you see.

The good news. This is on the top of my major make2d improvements list to get faster and more accurate occlusion testing.

Try this:

  • Unselect everything.
  • Explode your polysurface
  • Run DivideAlongCreases, SplitAtTangents=Yes on all the parts
  • Rejoin everything
  • Run Make2D.

Problem gone. (as far as I can see).

Well, almost - there are still some overlaps.

Internal G1 tangent joints in surfaces do not help anyone. Unfortunately this is default for Revolve. Removing them helps with the spurious lines from the underside surface.

I discovered something interesting. This shape is created by taking a revolution and subtracting from it.

If I do it as

PATTERN = S1 + S2 + S2 + S3 + …

The make 2d results are caca.

If I do it as

RESULT = REV - S1 - S2 - S3 - S4 - …

The results are much closer to corret.

Result =

If you keep adding in the grid lines, the problem comes back at some point.

Let me add a Make2d Suggestion.

It would be great if there were some reference point to allow individual parts to be assembled into a collage.

If I have two parts correctly positioned and do make2d on them separately, the 2d versions are not placed correctly relative to each other and there is no reference point to move them to the correct positioning.

Use the Viewport rectangle option for that.

Another observation.

If I wirecut the saucer at the flat sections, I get a better result than doing it all together.

However, some lines are missing from the chopped up version than are in the full version.

" Use the Viewport rectangle option for that."

The problem there is you apparently have to match the viewport size and position exactly.