Make2D not working properly - Rhino 6 Windows

I meant 6.1 lol! It is strange but this version the make 2d works fine!

Javier

@wim is there anyway to downgrade rhino?

Thx!

To which version? You are at 6.1 now?

6.9 or 6.10, one in wich make2d command works propperly! Thx @wim

Javier

yeap, sorry, i looked that this one appear like solved and i didnt know what i should do

Iā€™m very confused now.
Can you take this one step at a time?
You report that you have a problem in 6.10. Is that correct?
You then downgraded to 6.1 where the same model works fine?
Have you tried 6.11?

Javier , you might try: in Tools/Option/ updates and statistics" entry to set the feed source(Update Frequency) to Service Release Candidate, it can surely help the team to fix asap any comming bug. Because your problem looks important.

@wim I have done first the make 2D command with the last version (6.10.18311.20531). It doesnĀ“t work at all. All the lines that are projected are not shown in the make 2D command. Later, i have to present one section in 2D for my client so I have unistal Rhino and reinstall the version 6.1 (i have been very lucky cause i had under downloads folder the exe file that i downladed this year on january when rhino 6 was launched) and it works (but i have find other bugs that i know that this version of rhino has and has been solved in the next versions).

I think this is very importat, the last version that anyone can donwnload in the rhino website (6.10.18311.20531) the make2D command doesnt work at all.

Thx @wim and @piem for the replies

It doesnā€™t really matter which version is downloadable from the website. All users can download Release Candidates from within Rhino, as @piem described.

What matters is that we fix problems in the versions that we are working on (currently 6.11 and 6.12). Without a file, that will be very hard for us to do.

If you have a sensitive file that cannot be made public, you could upload it to us here:
https://www.rhino3d.com/upload

Alternatively, please post a simplified model that still shows the issue but doesnā€™t contain sensitive information.

Hi @wim
sorry for the delay. I have asked for another rhino file that happends exactly the sameā€¦is really weirdm also if i try to make a render with vray, it doesnĀ“t workā€¦i think that the file is corrupted maybe because they have inserted big cad files embebed.

I hope that u find it useful and it helps to keep on improving rhino :wink:

3D.zip (4.4 MB)

Hi Javier - here is what I get from the view f1 - does that look like what you want or what you get now, if eitherā€¦?

3DMake2D_PG.3dm (3.4 MB)

-Pascal

Hi Hi @Pascal

There are 2 cases in the make2D:

-In a perspective view without clipping plane, I get nothing. Completely empty.

• In a perspective view with a clipping plane, I get only the section lines with the clipping plane. Really weird. (image attached)

Also, I have try to make a render with vray 3.60 plugin, and it doesnt work at all in this model. If iI copy and paste the geometry into another file of rhino, the render works, if not, i only see a clean white image.

Maybe @Pascal and @wim the file is corrupted or I dont know what happens in this file. I can try with other rhino model to see if it works and is a problem only related to this file or the problem is more serious and is related with the version of rhino

Thanks for your support

Hi @Javier_FQ

Have you tried Make2D on a new scene with a simple object?
I have been looking at your file for a while now, and nothing looks weird here. But when I opened the file, I got warnings saying

A linked block definition cannot find a file named
ā€¦ \00.3DS\SITUACION.3dm
ā€¦ \01.CAD\auxilares\ALZADO.dwg

ā€¦ so, it could be that one of these causes things.

As for your statement about the ClippingPlane:

I couldnā€™t find any named views in your file that have an active ClippingPlane. How are you assigning your clipping plane?

Hi @wim

Yes, I have tried, and it worksā€¦I donĀ“t know why in this rhino file it doesnĀ“t work. The main difference with the other ones is that this one has large CAD files linked so maybe this is the reason why (but I still donĀ“t understand why make 2D doesnā€™t work well even a CAD file is inserted)

About the clipping plane, I donĀ“t remember @wim, maybe I deleted the clipping plane but I tried and I only got the section lines of the clipping plane.
Also, I remembered some problems with Vray plugin, the renders didnĀ“t recognize the geometry

Thx for your efforts @wim

Thanks for that additional information!

If you could supply all linked files as well (e.g. upload to Rhino - Upload to Support), we might be able to figure out whatā€™s going on there.
Thanks,
w

I believe Iā€™ve found a really simple fix for this problem. I apologize if thereā€™s a more appropriate fix elsewhere, but the Make2D command is now working flawlessly. Like many of you, I was getting frustrated with the command dropping lines. In the case of hidden lines, they wouldnā€™t show up at all regardless of whether or not the box was checked on or off. Given that this command is one of my primary reasons for using the program, this is incredibly useful.

Step 1: With items selected, click the thickness button under the properties tab and ensure it is ON. For whatever reason, by default this is off for all objects within Rhino 6. Change the distance to 0.001 (this second part of step 1 may not be necessary, but it was the first thing I tried and now appears to be working).

Step 2: Run Make2D command.

Before doing this, the command was dropping lines and adding tangents indiscriminately. It rarely produced edges which were curved in view. As you can see above, this is no longer an issue. This has also fixed the hidden lines issue, although I didnā€™t include an image. After reviewing the result, there isnā€™t a single issue that required fixing.

Hope this helps. Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m no computer whiz, so I literally have no idea why this worked, but it did, and I hope it does for all of you too.

Happy New Year!

5 Likes

Appears to be working in other projections as well:

1 Like

Iā€™m also having the same problemsā€¦ but there is no need to be rude.

We are having some similar problems with Make2D here. Changing the thickness as suggested by @lc867615 helped, but didnā€™t solve all the issues. We also tried moving closer to the origin and increasing absolute tolerance, but with limited success. Iā€™m wondering if there have been any other updates on these issues that I have missed?

On another note, I miss the control over output layers that was available in 5. It used to be that you could send all the output to only one layer. I donā€™t really find the sublayers, and sub sub sub sublayers helpful in make2D. Itā€™s quite annoying when my geometry is already layered as I like it, then make2D puts all the curves on their own separate sublayers.

Thanks everyone at McNeel for being great!!

V6
Make2DLayers1

V5