MainEngineThread is returning 1603

This comes up nearly every time Rhino wants to install an update.
No “Couldn’t install” message, no hint what to do, no word from the installer.
I know how to handle the unsuccessful install.
Most customers don’t, so they ask, and this is effort for both.

It would be good if the installer could be a bit more verbose.

I don’t know what you do to fix this and I’m only guessing that you are asking for the installer to provide a link to the wiki page when that error occurs. Is that right?

That really doesn’t sound good.
@brian - any ideas?

I don’t know what you do to fix this

1603 means (in principle) another install is in progress.
Easy to fix, a reboot is enough in most cases.

and I’m only guessing that you are asking for the installer to provide a link to the wiki page when that error occurs. Is that right?

I wish a message, a helpful link or whatever.
Not just a silent quit of the installer.
Now it only leaves the log on the Desktop, but no message.

Even better would be the installer tells the 1603 problem at the beginning of the process.

Hi @Charles,

I presume this is happening when Rhino detects an automatic update, and then prompts you to install it?

I guess I could change the automatic update install to always end with a dialog box that says the installation is complete - whether it succeeds or fails. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make it show a dialog box on failure, but complete silently on success. What do you think?

Hello @brian

I presume this is happening when Rhino detects an automatic update, and then prompts you to install it?

Yes.

I guess I could change the automatic update install to always end with a dialog box that says the installation is complete - whether it succeeds or fails.

Sounds helpful.
Always good to know what happened on the PC!

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make it show a dialog box on failure, but complete silently on success. What do you think?

I think that is very ok.
The positive message can’t harm.

Thanks for hearing me.

OK, I’ve logged https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50414