Mac Rhino 7 persistent bugs

I have three bugs that are driving me crazy on the Mac version of Rhino 7 latest as of 3/2/23…

1. the .PLY and/or .STEP imports have a multiplier issue and never seem to bring items in at the correct scale when in inches… our windows version have to be used for importing files!

2. If you want to PDF something and don’t have a printer setup (who prints anymore) you can’t get rid of the dialog box!

3. SelLayer opens the palette but doesn’t select the layer for the object you selected is on!

I really want to Mac version to be even better than the windows version especially since the M1/M2 MBP can do rhino so well without draining your battery… what is the user base for the Mac version anyway… I can I just be effected by these issues.

rhino 8 wip. i bought 7 solely for the license to the wip and i don’t regret it. 7 on m1 was unusable but the wip keeps getting better

1 Like

Hi Arash -

Could you provide a STEP file that shows this or provide the steps to create such file?

Assuming you use the Print command, I seem to be able to close that dialog box with the Cancel button in that dialog.
Note that, on macOS, the recommended workflow to create PDF files is to use the ExportAll command.

That seems to be working fine here. I run SelLayer. The “Layers to select” dialog pops up. With the mouse, I select a layer in the list and press the Select button. In the viewport, the objects on that layer are selected. Are you doing something or expecting something differently?

Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

wim…

thanks for the quick response…

1. So I checked step again its not a step issue its definitely a PLY issue. Do you want a sample PLY?

2. amazing thanks for the tip… works great!

3. on the windows version you can select the object first then type SELLAYER and the layer/ layers those objects are on are selected… or more importantly… SELNAME… shoot maybe I was thinking SELNAME.

Hi Arash -

No, thanks. PLY files don’t carry any information about the units that are used. When importing these, there is a dialog box asking you for the units to use. This is the same on macOS and Windows.

I must admit you’ve lost me on this one…
-wim

Wim…

1. it might not carry any known unit info but its has its own units and rhino Mac vs rhino windows opens them up as different sizes for the same file same “unit” conversion. The Mac Version has a math error somewhere in the code or UI… I can confirm this issue for the “inches” units in rhino.

2. SELNAME is very useful for looking up the name of an object selected… on the windows version if you select an object(s) and type SELNAME it will preselect the name(s) of the object(s) thats selected before the command is run as well as scroll to that part of the sublist to show you what’s selected … its super useful when selecting objects from solid modeling programs…

I can demonstrate and provide screenshots and files for both of these.

Hi Arash -

If you could supply a sample for this behavior, that would be nice, thanks.

I’m not seeing that behave that way here on Windows:

Yes, please, to more information here as well.
-wim

issue 1 example and file

Jay-Kuan Do.ply (4.2 MB)

You should choose Meters when importing the PLY, not inches. But even so, these units aren’t probably correct.

Wim for the selname function issue I had this right the first time its the SELLAYER function that acts differently:

Nathan we exported this PLY in inches… its a lidar scan not photoslam so the the dimensions are accurate.

regarding the ply import issue… I noticed that rhino on the windows version says rhino units is none… but on the Mac version it says rhino units is inches… this is in the import dialog box un-selectable item… I have both the windows and Mac version on the same small object inches template.

Your PLY file has the object about 71.6 units high, I believe them to be millimeters.

Imported into Blender the object stands 71.6 units high. Imported in Rhino 7 into a millimeter template with meters selected on import the object is 71.6 millimeters high - corresponding to the 71.6 units of Blender.

(blender rounds off number in display, it is 71.55)

Well, if it’s supposed to be a life-sized human, then inches would be correct - 72" = 6 feet or about 182 cm.

That’s correct he is that tall… but it issue still remains that PLY imports in inches aren’t working the same as the windows version.

Hi Arash -

Something is going on with the scale on macOS, yes.
I’ve filed this as RH-73477 File IO: PLY import scaled incorrectly on macOS

I see that behavior here on Rhino 7 on macOS. This appears to have been fixed in Rhino 8 somewhere along the road.
-wim