Mac Crashed possible graphic card failure

Realizing that my previous version of rhino was about to expire at midnight I downloaded and installed the latest official release of Rhino for Mac. Running on a MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 within a few minutes of working in rhino my computer froze and the screen was covered in horizontal lines. I am unsure if this is related to the install and use or if it was something else that occurred. After a bit of research the lines could be the failure of the graphics card. If anyone has any info or advise I would be happy to listen! Thanks

@Daniel_Seidman, what version of OS are you using?
Also, did the crash happen just once, or is it happening steadily?
Can you get us the info in Rhinoceros - About - More Info ?

Using the latest update of Mavericks I believe. Currently unable to start the computer. When I turn it on the screen is covered in horizontal lines and the bar under will not load past a 1/3 of the way before the screen turns completely white. Going to the Apple Store to get it serviced so hopefully I can have a better idea of what is going on later today.

Definitely sounds like hardware failure… Certainly not something Rhino caused. --Mitch

Probably Rhino has used the GPU a bit more and therefore done last little thing. But this would had happened also with other programs or GPU related tasks.

Apple is having problems with almost every additional GPUs (in notebooks) since 2007, chip graphics are working fine in all models.

Glad there is a Repair Extension Program for your model.

Ouch. Given those symptoms, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple needs to replace the entire logic board. I had (what sounds like) this happen on an older MBP and they run a diagnostic at the Apple Store to find the problem.

I am sorry about your computer.

This may help:

Video Card Failure Images

Typically VRAM failures are random blocks of pixels either that don’t match the surrounding blocks content wise but most often will be missing a color component. The horizontal line issue usually is on the output side after the frame is assembled and is being converted back into DVI / VGA / HDMI etc, and can also be on the input electronics of the display. If you hook an external monitor up to the laptop and it does it there as well it’s the graphics card, if it doesn’t, it’s the display.

Other stuff to notice:

Increased fan noise on the card under no graphics load: Generally indicative of power issues, if the voltage supply drops the chips will pull more current and generate more heat.