M1X & Monterey

Hi Steve, was having performance issue on both Rhino 7 and WIP 8 prior today’s update and still having the same issue.

Model with meshes that runs extremely smooth on windows doesn’t perform well and stutters in both Rhino 7 and latest WIP 8 on M1 Pro Mac.

Navigation is only okay when enabled “testmetal” on WIP 8. Or joining meshes into one.

Please advise.

As far as advice, probably stick with your Windows computers for now if you are having issues.

Metal development is still in an early phase and I would expect performance to improve with time. The initial goal is just to get the screen to display everything correctly using metal; performance optimizations come later. If you can share your model that you are having problems with, we can take a look at it and see if there is anything that can be done.

Just purchased a new MacBook Pro 2021 - operating with Mac OS Monterey 12.0 with the M1 Max chip. I have downloaded and installed both versions Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 WIP. Each time I attempt to open the application, I am immediately prompted with “Rhino quit unexpectedly” - unable to open the application at all. I understand this is an intel based program and I have Rosetta 2 installed. Any ideas?

I answered your duplicate post. I have almost the same setup and was able to install and open. OS Monterey 12.0.1 Pro Chip, not MAX

I’m running Rhino 7 and 8 WIP on an 2021 M1 Pro machine. In the newest build of Rhino 8 WIP I can’t open the display mode settings in the options menu. Anyone else having this issue?

Hi Ben -

Yes, that’s not limited to machines running Apple Silicon. We have it on the list as RH-66462.
Thanks,
-wim

1 Like

RH-66462 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like