Luminaire grid and pattern

Hi all
Can anyone suggest or even show how such a grid, pattern could be created, programmed like the HorizON pendant luminaire?

I can assume that rheotomic grids, vortex fields, attractors, morphing, voronoi (?) and possibly something else have been used here…
Perhaps there have been similar discussions somewhere, similar questions, then tell me where to look (I couldn’t find). If you have any ideas, words, please just share them🙏

And please don’t ignore my student, if you can call it that, questions on this forum - I really need your support, your responsiveness and competence. If I write something wrong, ask something, tell me about it (even though I’ve read the forum rules a thousand times).

Hello
if you want to replicate a work from someone you could first ask the creators @Arturo_Tedeschi @Michael_Pryor and I don’t find Pavlina Vardoulaki Pryor.
By the way
The pattern has 2 symmetries, plane XZ and YZ (obvious)
The pattern is composed from radial grid (obvious)
Deformations are applied, here is the difficult part has many deformations could be applied.

So
Make the grid

Transform each cell in a mesh with some subdivision in order to be able to have some smooth transformation. I heal the mesh as center meshes have coincident points.

Apply some transformation, here Maelstrom

Apply the symmetries, don’t flatten in order to be able to glue the polygons that are on the symmetry planes

In order to make the border, I join the mesh, apply some other division, extract the border then offset them

lamp_horizon.gh (14.8 KB)

5 Likes

@laurent_delrieu thank you very much for the idea, I’ll test it now! Yes, you’re right, I’ll try to ask the creators. DM seemed to have a post or maybe even a webinar on this topic, but I unfortunately didn’t participate in it.

Wow, that’s very impressive… :smiley: If could put the buildings in the contours… and that would be fantastic!
Such volumes

But I think I can handle it :wink:

Meh. Slippery slope…

if you want to replicate a work from someone you could first ask the creators @Arturo_Tedeschi @Michael_Pryor and I don’t find Pavlina Vardoulaki Pryor.

I don’t want to infringe on the authorship by any means, I want to understand the principle of the grid :slightly_smiling_face:

Asking is the good thing to do, and from what I understand they sell a lot of courses. So people are able to “copy” and creator get money from that. Not like me that is doing that for free. The stupid here is me!!! I must work for McNeel !

2 Likes

Maybe, but he just asked how “such a grid could be created”, not to make an exact replica of their lamp design.

Did you ask theverymany, Chachy Hernandez, Nervous System or others for permission before creating maybe derivative designs? With peace and love, I personally don’t think that you should have.

Is that a fantasy of yours? :slight_smile:

I have not a bullet proof logic but I try to cite the source of some works. So it is planned that i will be published by Leeta Harding with a photo of Scarlet Jonhansson. I had discussion with Nervous when I coppycatted some of their works (see twitter). I had discussion with Marc Fornes but I one time didn’t mention him so he was not happy. But as I want to learn I dont ask people about their techniques.

But there is a great difference between recreating to learn and selling a design. I hope to never sell a copy of someone else work.

5 Likes

@laurent_delrieu I’ll for sure cite your name when I’ll be able to reproduce something similar to your awesome PatDef table :slight_smile:

each time I try to work on that I strongly relate to Gene Fowler’s: “Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead”

1 Like

TBH I don’t even remember exactly, would have to look back but this is close enough. There was additional physics deformations like conforming it to a 3D scan of the glass (it’s a hand made glass). And then other optimizations of opening and thickness / hallowness for light diffusion + weight.

2 Likes

In my mind, everything is derived from an entire panoply of things that came before it (and nothing is truly original).
You can quote Fornes, Pryor, etc., but it might be ethically less fair than you might think, since many people and ideas that preceded are simply left out and quoting an entire history is quasi impossible.

I guess learning is what this topic was about from the get go and OP even credited the original creators by providing names and resources above. I didn’t see any business proposals.

1 Like