Low table project

Here first pictures of my low table made of 112 aluminium pieces connected by 1188 rivets. All pieces were marked. Holes were not marked because the files were too heavy for the manufacturer. He is still on windows NT !!! At the end it is not a big deal because I just need pieces numbering. Talking about lasercutting, I send mail for quotation to 4 French industry and I had just one good answer. Industry doesn’t like hobbyst.

My remaining questions are

1. is it worth polishing with a Burnisher ? Aluminium here is rough with scratch from lasercutting process …
  2. were and how to sell these sort of thing ?

Main pictures of the project here

20 Likes

Nice!!
Are you thinking of selling it assembled or as a flat-pack puzzle? How long does it take to assemble? How easy is it to assemble for somebody else? What would the price be? Which thickness of aluminium did you use? Is that top ring 1 solid piece?

So cool. So many questions.

1 Like

Hello thanks for the comments @siemen,
yes we want to sell it assembled.
At the moment it took about 2-3 days to assemble it, but I had the good/bad idea to put 0.8 mm spacers between pieces. It was very difficult to put them so for the foot I didn’t put the spacers and it was far more easy and fastest to rivet pieces together.
It is quite easy to assemble it when you have the 3d file. All the pieces have a name and tag (I use Elefront) in the 3d model and engraved on the pieces.

Price not decided yet.
I used 1 mm aluminium thickness.
Top piece is one piece. Could be done in many parts but as manufacturer uses 2 m x 3 m sheet, it is not a problem.

Bounding box nesting, surely not used by manufacturer.

I send to the laser cutter 112 dxf files. All files generated using Elefront.

The main script contain a lot of C# using my own library (dll). Elefront is using quite a lot of component, there is surely space for improvements.

Other pictures here

2 Likes

The other position of the table

6 Likes

Elegant work! :grinning: