Love for McNeel

As simple as that. My case has been the same, my work position existed solely beacuse of Rhino/GH.

I even has learned coding just because of this software (I still recommend to people Rhinoscript 101 as a introduction to both coding and computational geometry fundaments)

I also know that nowadays, in my former university Rhino is being central to teach geometry, math, fabrication and coding.

I´am sure that you are aware if this. So we are.

And after so many years being the most versatile 3d tool, then being a reference in graphical programming software now still the future brights with the arrival of rhinoinside, rhino compute and Rhino3dm…

Please, just keep on doing so nicely.

It already has been said, but I want to give all my gratitude to this community of talented, helpful and kind people.

7 Likes

Thank you Andrew, and Big thank you to the Rhino team. Patient to say the least, and very helpful.
I have been using Rhino for over 10 years, from version 2 and have on occasion sought assistance from the Rhino team, always with positive feedback. In fact I have been the one who is remise on occasion not being able to share a model or provide them feedback to an issue.
I am also now a Grasshopper convert and am also greatly appreciative Rhino has not succumb to the subscription model.
Big thanks, Rob.

1 Like

Same here. Applies to my job as well as my master program.

1 Like

I could not agree more with this post. The folks at McNeel are uncommonly kind and very different from other software companies. They build a reliable product at a reasonable price that is used thousands of people all over the world. GH has also changed the trajectory of my career and made possible designs that could never have been realized before. Keep up the great work McNeel!!

5 Likes

First downloaded Rhino over compuserve in the '90s (I think it may no longer have been the '90s when the download finally completed), and was immediately able to draw a 3D thing – something I’d failed utterly to do with autocad. Been hanging around here ever since … and would never have ended up doing what I do if not for Rhino. So yes, thanks a million you guys & gals!

5 Likes

No kidding. I’ve heard a rumor that the International Association of Software Suppliers has sanctioned McNeel for non-compliance with their Customer Interface Standards and Protocols. Their Enforcement Committee is stalking the streets of Seattle at this very moment with pitchforks and muskets looking for leading McNeel employees to “educate”.

Rhino 3D is one of my favorite programs, from one of my favorite companies. I’ve cited this forum as a positive example of a good online-community.

Notwithstanding, as a user if there is a bug that’s troubling me, sure I am going to ask for it to be fixed. We are both software users and consumers.

Rhino seems seems to have grown as piece of software. While I only code a little here and there, I still know that as something grows–it becomes more complex. If it’s software, there’s going to be bugs–and there is no changing that.

I have filled out more than a few bug reports for open source software. I understand that bug reports are appear unsightly in an open forum, but a greater peril also exists if bugs are neither reported nor fixed.

1 Like

THE PLACE TO BE

McNeel has really succeeded with the #1 marketing rule: “Create sympathy”.

So yes, I really like the way McNeel develops this amazing software. The patient and balanced McNeel staff, even including their individual ups and downs (…) makes this forum an absolutely special place and a very valuable source of information, probably unique among software companies.

Combined with all the skilled contributors on this forum, this place has become an outright gold mine. The place to be.

// Rolf

13 Likes

I am one of the “my career evolved thanks to GH” types. And I’ll be always grateful for that.
In the last years, living far away from home, I went from Rhino at a HIGH stakes level, to having to transition to Archicad (with 0 prior knowledge) and in the last three months again to Vectorworks (again with 0 prior knowledge).

Let me use this introduction to state with confidence that McNeel has a WONDERFUL team of developers and support.
You might argue Rhino is no BIM capable, but what Rhino can do, RHINO CAN DO. I don’t have enough fingers to count the times I got a “Sorry it just can’t do that.” answer from VW support. They are nice and helpful but they are not McNeel…
Now working full time with VW, whenever I have the excuse to play with my beloved Rhino and Grasshopper at home I jump of joy!

6 Likes

Me being allegedly not that smart, ( school results in the C’s + insanely dyslectic. ) , my working life has been a hard one doing a Shipwrights apprentaship, and spending 40 years building Luxury yachts. Along the way I have played with Rhino, learning 3D modelling and creating some awesome fantasy ships.

Now, through years of toil and failure I am working for a gate compony designing Gates, and they’re automation in Rhino.

Then Grasshopper was included, and my brain required more replacement fuses. !

I now have a second job developing Grasshopper files for a range of manufactured products.

The very clever people behind Rhino, and Grasshopper have allowed me, An academic failure to flourish in a 3D virtual world.

Credit to them all, and so many thanks. You have allowed me to look Smart.

8 Likes

Hear, hear! This forum is a big factor in my use of and my recommendations to colleagues to buy this software. I’d be lost without it.

Dennis

3 Likes

Agreed - this is one of the most helpful online communities based around a piece of software.

2 Likes

i agree with you :100:

Sometimes users like me do not know well English. As an exception of US and ENG the rest of the world learn English buy the way also posting in forums. Reading my old post I sound aggressive and yelling. I’m so sorry about that but were not my intentions. I try to read the post as a neural as possible.
When I sea a glider, wally, a ferrari or artificial leg I’m also looking to bug reports, Pascal answers hot fixings and workarounds. my baby walking over the desk also make me rush in this fast answer. I thx to you, reading these lines!

3 Likes

Yeah, they seem to be incredibly friendly even to users posting screenshots using their obviously cracked/bootleggesd software.
There is no other place quite like this.

3 Likes

Eh, McNeel is a good company, with a great product, with one of the best and most helpful forums I have ever been on. Get over it. : )

1 Like

( 80’s ) Pff @glugwort :slight_smile: you are so old that you do not remember! that was the 90s. :wink: I the ( 80’s ) I was using Sculpt 3D and Commodore 128 3D software. In the 90’s some of us left silicon alias for home pc rhino.

It was back when we had to wind it up with a key ! Get the pendulum swinging, and grease the bearings. After three hours the valves had warmed enough to start humming. Then the team of stokers kept shovelling in the coal. And that was for the first pixel, if we wanted two we called in the army.

5 Likes

128k! Spoiled brats, these days. : )

In my day, we had 64k, and you were lucky if you had the official branded cassette recorder to save your software on…and try to load, without errors, or retyping the whole thing, again. : O

And we didn’t have computers, you had to practice setting pixels–by hand! Using plastic pegs. On a Lite Brite : )

2 Likes

For some sunday afternoon reading:

-Willem

7 Likes