Lots of layout questions! how to align objects in separate details? how to insert breaks?

Is there a good way to align objects in different detail views? Is there a way to also insert breaks in an object so that I can show the ends of a long object without showing all the details of the middle? Thanks

You can think of detail views as a special sort of viewing window into model space. Thus, to align objects, you need to move the window around the objects. However, you can’t have a different alignment than in model space, so what you would need to do if you need to align diverse objects that are not normally aligned is make several smaller detail windows on one page and move those around so objects seen through them are aligned.

Otherwise, you might want to make a separate drawing layer and move copies of the objects around as you like.

–Mitch

1. Draw a line in paper space from one detail to another. Get in the other view and pan to align geometry with that line (not super precise, but works for paper nonetheless)
    or
    Move one detail snapping to the common geometry for both details (like corner) in paper space to another detail and then adjust the detail border to match the other if you’re really anal.

2. Have 2 details for both ends and drop a break symbol in paper space. Not the best solution ever, but Rhino’s paper space options are pretty limited in comparison to other CAD soft.

I encounter the same problem and I align details manually as Asterisk.
Hope we will get the possibility to link details in x,y or z in a next version.

how do you insert these break lines? draw them manually? or is there a command>
that detail looks pretty well lined up, how did you do that ? recommendation 1 or 2? Thanks

See the vid on how to line up details to each other. Extensive use of Tab (lock direction) recommended.

Break lines are drawn manually, yes. Took me couple of days to recreate all the details and annotation markers when we moved from AutoCAD to Rhino. All these are simple curves and texts grouped for each symbol, so they are double-click easily editable, click & dragable and copy-pasteable.

Hi, there is the _SynchronizeViews command which sets the scale and center of all visible viewports to match the active viewport. It will also synchronize activated details on the layout pages.

So if you want to synchronize three details you’ll have to run that command three times and switch from viewport to layout. Not ideal so I think we’ll have to wish for a SynchronizeDetails command.

4 Likes

Dear Rhino Developers,

Are there any plans to develop a SynchronizeViews command for the detailed views in the Layout?
It is so basic and still missing.
It would be nice if one can select the detail views that are to be synchroniced.

Bas Goris

1 Like

Hi Bas - there are no plans that I know of for this, but I added an item to the pile:

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-32294

Thanks,

-Pascal

RH-32294 is fixed in the latest WIP

Hi Brian,

I just tried this new feature and it seems like SyncronizeViews for details only works for aligned details, and by that I mean, details that have their outlines aligned. Here a video and file that shows the limitation.

SynchronizeDetailViews.3dm (3.1 MB)

Cheers,
José

Hi @pascal, could you take a look at my previous post related to the new synchronizeViews in layouts.

Thanks,
José

Hi Jose - thanks, I see… and I am not sure what the right answer is … for example, if you move that upper detail off completely to the right of the lower left detail, would you expect nothing to show in that upper detail?

-Pascal

Yes, I would expect that because we are talking about synchronizing views not scale.

IMO, the way it works know will lead to user errors if for example the detail is just a few millimeters off and the user doesn’t realize that. I have used this feature in other softwares an they don’t requiere the details to be aligned.

Having said that, I can live with the current behavior and it’s a great improvement to Layouts but we always like more :wink:

José

I’ve also written a script that does this. It’s in my page layout tools thread

Hi I’m a beginner and I have the same problem I think.
I’ve lost already an hour to try to understand how to keep the alignment of objects in separate layout details as they’re aligned in my model space.
I can’t get it working right, I can’t get the logic and it’s quite frustrating since it is a basic need.

Is there away in Rhino 7 to manage this alignment between model and lyout space properly?
I need to extract pdf and work on them in photoshop/illustrator and it’s essential for me to keep the exact alignment, not just ‘by eye’.

Thanks for all the help.
Tommaso

@tom.ven87 layouts are certainly not Rhino’s easiest or user friendliest of tools. Over the years I’ve written various scripts to simplify work in layouts as you can see in the link I posted right before your question. One of these tools is to align details. However it won’t keep them magically aligned like in e g. SolidWorks.
If you’re new to working with layouts in general, you can also have a look on this learning page:

1 Like

Hi Tommaso -

There is no link between viewports in layout space and in model space, apart, perhaps, from using named views and restoring those in details.
To align parallel details on the same layout, you should be able to activate a detail that is as you want it and then using the SynchronizeViews command.
-wim

Simply move the camera target to a shared object in each viewport!

Hello @tom.ven87 . My trick to align objects from different layout detail views:
Open layout page (tab).
Make sure your Osnaps are enabled.
This is the key to it working since Osnaps will snap to the objects inside a layout detail without any of the the layout detail views being open/active.
Without having any detail views active I now draw a temporary vertical or horizontal line (depending how I want to align the other detail object), first snapping to the reference object in the detail view that will not move and then just drawing the line across the view that I want to align.
This reference line that is ON the layout itself will be visible when activating the layout detail beneath it.
I then fill my screen with the layout detail that i want to align for better accuracy and activate it.
Snaps don’t work here but i can now pan the view manually to get a pixel accurate alignment to the temporary line I made over the layout.
I now de-activate the detail and delete my temporary alignment line.
This ended up being longer than I thought written down, but its a few seconds in practice. Michael VS