Looking for 3d input wand... anybody know what this is called?

I saw a TV spot about a canvas cover making shop that used a magic wand to take coordinates off a real world framework and the positions went into Rhino as points. Anybody know what this thing is? I’m not having any luck searching for it.

A Faro Arm perhaps? http://www.faro.com/products/metrology/faroarm-measuring-arm/overview

It’s called a 3D Digitizer.
Rhino supports several different brands.
They work like a 3D mouse.
The larger ones can be quite expensive.
The small desktop versions with about a 24" reach are much less expensive.

This was a wireless wand, and the guy carried it around outside. Was for measuring big things… 30, 40, maybe 50 feet.

I’ve never seen or heard of a digitizer like that.

There seems to be something like it on the Rhino website:


Maybe the Prodim device is what you saw?


Thanks Nick… It was definitely something like that. I don’t think there was a string attached to the wand.

Found another one now that I know some keywords to search for: