List of test commands

does anybody have a list of test commands? obviously for some illogical reason these are hidden, even thought they are very useful. Here are the ones I know of and use all the time

testZBiasFactor
testHideOnDeactivate
testWirethicknessScale

1 Like

:slight_smile: the not so illogical reason AFAIK is because they are under development.

I use only a couple:

• TestPackageManager
  • TestShowPrivateContent

This is what I’ve got. Don’t know if they all apply for R6 though.

• CullDegenerateMeshFaces
  • ExtractNonManifoldMeshEdges
  • ExtractDuplicateMeshFaces
  • RemoveAllNakedMicroedges
  • TestCrvSelfIntersection
  • TestDoublePrecisionMesh
  • TestEval
  • TestMMX
  • TestMSX
  • TestRemoveAllNakedMicroLoops
  • PictureFrame - “TestSuckTextureIntoBitmapTable”
  • TestSoftMeshTransform

// Rolf

Now I wish I had answered they are easter eggs :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You probably meant to say: “for reasons I can’t fathom” or something along those lines.

Here are Raytraced commands, including test/hidden ones: https://github.com/mcneel/RhinoCycles/tree/rhino-6.x/Commands . Some even don’t work, some need special knowledge that lives in my head, yet others are there so I was able to test things (fixes, new features, etc), but otherwise completely useless to users. Feel free to run TestDeviceEqualityCrash, and lets hope I actually managed to fix the problem and Rhino doesn’t go under…

Also a Test* command may change behavior, or even disappear - so one should not learn to rely on these.

1 Like

Can someone explain testwirethicknessscale ?
is it just the edge thickness on a shaded display, for example? Or does this affect print thickness as well? basically is this display purposes only?

Same question.
I can see it affects edge thickness, but what is the scope ?
I notice it affects most display style, but not Arctic, apparently…

This is a good example why test commands are not exposed publicly. This was an old adjustment for some curve display differences between V5 and V6. It is now integrated into the normal interface via Options>Advanced.

1 Like

Well it’s still there in V7.
Go figure

There are probably test commands in there going back to V1. Who cares? They’re not designed to be used by the general public.

2 Likes

Well at least this whole discussion made me discover an obscure setting.
My point is that there must be a glossary “somewhere” , which explains what these commands do, and what’s their status.
Or else, the devs themselves would be lost.
So what’s wrong with exposing this glossary to the users ?
The most adventurous would probably have some meaningful contibution, and the others would just ignore it, and that would be it.

The way it is managed is messy at best, and is an evident loss of opportunity, as exemplified by those who suddenly discover that something useful had been hiding in plain sight.

The test commands are for internal use and are not documented. Some are tech tests with buggy gui or no gui at all and some are even made to break things. That’s how development is. Stuff that is good enough to be tested by unknown users are moved to the alpha stage and then has to be documented.
So opening that up to the public would cause all kinds of issues.

But having an WIP / Alpha list available to the brave users who won’t toss a fit everytime something isn’t working as well as in a competing, specialized software that has been developed for ten years, could be cool :wink:

3 Likes

you can find some in the registry :wink:

Posted in another related thread:

Think of these “Test” command like an invitation and a back stage pass at a concert.
Yes, you can poke around and maybe get some insight into how the magic happens, but don’t get in the way of the show.

If you want access to everything, you need to work here or be a member of the band. There are responsibilities that go along with that.

So please, let it go.
When a test command is a useful way to explore different options for a problem, we may use them to do that exploration. They will not be documented, not announced, and not supported as a released command. They will come and go. They are a tool for us to improve development and get better tools built for you.

You’ll need to trust us to do that.
Thanks

1 Like

anyone?

huh? you replied to yourself didn’t you?

Oh yea I did because I do not think I received an answer to my question…