Linetype scaling in model space

Hi Irene,

is there a way to basically fix the line weight to the model space so that will come out to scale in different details?

I believe it is this option in the Print dialog that you are looking for.
I made a simple model and it is attached.

You can preview this on the layput with the PrintDisplay command configured like this:
Print Display (Layout Viewports) ( State=On Color=Print LayoutLinetypes=On ):

Let us know if this works for you.
Sincerely,

Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

lrene linetypes v5.pdf (6.9 KB)
lrene linetypes v5.3dm (34.3 KB)

Hi Mary,
Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately it’s not fixing the issue.
Maybe I phrased it in the wrong way. I’ve attached a print from a basic model, that should explain a bit better.
The line next to the man has thickness 1mm in the model.
The view on the right is 1:1 and it’s fine at 1mm thickness, I do want a nice thick line.
The view on the left is 1:25 and due to the line thickness, it’s not easy to read, it’s merging into itself. If it was to scale, a line 1mm thick full size should ideally be very thin when view at 1:25.
Does it make any sense?

1.pdf (745.9 KB)

So far I had solved the problem by keeping a thin line in the model space (0.18) and then, when doing full sizes, I would in the viewport trace over with a 1mm thick line. It allows me to get to the print I need, it’s just not very practical because if something changes I have to retrace over every time.

any idea? :slight_smile:

If you want to scale line width globaly per plot, you can do it in the print dialog:

The following is based on the Windows version, but I assume the Mac side has something similar. You can also adjust line weight per detail via layers. So in your 1:25 detail, double click into the detail to make it active. You can then modify all the object on a layer you are interested by using the per detail controls in the layer pallet. You can leave the line weight heavier in your 1:1 detail.

You can also adjust the print width by the object properties, but this will affect it in all details.

Sam

I don’t seem to be able to navigate linewidth management. I want Linetypes that print at the same size of dash and dot in all windows regardless of the window scale.

Choosing “Use Pattern Definition” in Print Settings doesn’t work as expected. if I rely on scaling dimensions in Options, Using Pattern Definition doesn’t respond to a large enough range of scaling to get them to a large enough scale, and if I edit the linetypes themselves to make them bigger, that setting results in different instances of the same linetype printed to different scales.

Of course choosing Match Viewport Display results in linetypes that are scaled with all the objects, varying from window to window.

I am either mismanaging this or something’s off in my project or settings somewhere.

Hi Djhg,
Can you tell us what Rhino version are you using?
The linetype scale, unit and pattern definitions are set per file in Document Settings. The linetype print style (Match Pattern Definition or March Viewport Display) is set at print time. Rhino does not have a linetype scale per object.

Please send us a sample file and images that will show us what you are seeing on the display. Indication what you feel is incorrect and what you expected to see. Also print to PDF and send that file along as well.

Thanks in advance.
We will be able to investigate the issue more thoroughly.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

Thanks Mary, but that post was 26 days ago. I’ve somehow limped past it and have other issues to work through at the moment. This is the least of them, but maybe I can get back to it again before too long.

1 Like

Hi @djhg,
When you are ready to revisit this, just post your files and @mention me.
You can also email tech@mcneel.com with any urgent issues.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Also note that Rhino’s display of linetype scale is by and large completely unusable and unrepresentative or what you will get, especially when working with layouts. If you have your print settings set to Use pattern definition, when printed they should measure as they are in the pattern definition. The display will almost always be wrong, so don’t look for the print to match the display. Really the only way to get a feel of what linetype scale will look like is with check plots.

Sam

2 Likes

Thanks Mary.

I put up an issue on the forum last night about Ambient occlusion not working in a particular viewport in a project. It’d be great to get some advice about that.

regards

David

Hi, I have a slightly different question. Is it somehow possible to assign different linetype scales to different lines/objects?
If not, could it be added to a wish list. I think that easiest way would be to add another object property value “linetype scale” for each line separately. Then it would be possible to change this value in object properties tab - either “By Global Value” or different/custom value.
Thank you,
Vaclav

4 Likes

Almost 8 years past and I don’t know if this issue has been solved. I am a user with both Rhino 6 and Rhino 7.
To make is simple, I will use an example to show what I need in my work and what results that these 2 version of Rhino had gave me.
Here is the example. In my work, there is already an existing dash line in a drawing I created in the model space, and I want to add a new dash line in the layout space which can act as an instruction for my drawing. In this situation, what I really want is that these two dash lines must look exactly the same when I turn on the print display button.
As a result, Rhino 6 works well, although the two dash lines are a little different in their scale. I think for me, I can accept this. It seems that the Rhino team have worked on this issue and fixed it already. However, in Rhino 7, it doesn’t wok well at all! In Rhino 7, the 2 dash lines look totally different! And if I change the line type scale in the options, it will change both line types in the model space and layout space. And it turns out that, when I turn to the layout space to watch the two dash lines, only one dash line can fit the paper after my tuning. Either the dash line in model space looks good in my layout with the gaps of the dash line in the layout space look huge, or the dash line in the layout space looks good but the dash line in the model space look like a continuous line in my layout.
As a result, in Rhino 6, this problem no longer exist. But in Rhino 7, this problem reappears like in Rhino 5 8 years ago.
And I don’t know why.

Hi -

FWIW -You haven’t attached anything.
Linetype scaling is working as expected in Rhino 8.
-wim

Hi, V7.
I see I am not the only one frustrated by this, I have Marys setting ON.
I have just created a win10 Pc after 2.5 months of hell and high water,
2 weeks to install and make templates and hand entry settings as advised, for V7.
and its still got Linetype issues after coming from V5, surely after all this time that cannot be so.

The entire build has wiped me out financially, and the V7 install took weeks, but now I am functional. :grinning:
and it seems I now need to start all over again with V8 to solve this terrible problem.

OMG…is there a way of bringing in all the user settings into V8, and all the templates, the properties panel had so many changes everything had to be manually entered, templates I now have hand crafted so their units match their names.

I see no mention of V8 upgrade price surfing the net. at the moment and for the near future it would have to be free !
£2700 and that should be that, I am with V7, and skint…

and we need V8 to fix issues…OMG.

Is there not an easy way to solve this ?

Steve

Hi Steve -

Yes, for a Rhino 7 license holder and for the near future, Rhino 8 is free. It will be until, hopefully later this year, Rhino 8 is released.

Also see your other thread on this

-wim

Hi,
if V8 solves the fundamental problem of dimensions not opening in Layout view same as in design views

then I am getting it immediately !

though thoughts of having to spend another week hand crafting all the templates and recreating all my custom buttons all over again, having recently done that, is a killer. and I dont have time for that.

I reckon I am back on V5 at this rate. V7 has been DOA for me so far.

Steve

yes, this is painful but it should not be. this should be a simple thing, just export and then import settings/ui/etc again. sure, most stuff is exportable but recreating a certain work environment in rhino can still somehow be very difficult and time consuming. I hope mcneel will address this at some point.

Steve,

I strongly advise you not to use Rhino 8 for production work while it is still a WIP. You might find you rely on something that changes a week later. The purpose of the WIP is for McNeel to try things out and for customers to give feedback. It isn’t something to use when you are bringing home the bacon.

Regards
Jeremy

hey,

I cant believe that I am here on this topic again, but here we are, line type scaling in layout again.

so, I assume that we dont have an global option somewhere (I didnt found it) where I can tell rhino to use the same scaling for linetypes in model and layout areas?

I know that there is an option in the printing window, but I defintly want to look the preview in the layout the same as in the model area.

did I miss something here?

Benjamin

Is this still not solved in V8? Can’t believe this!

There are WAY too many different options, toggles, scaling factors to be set concerning Linetypes. This is not a feature, this is a huge BUG and it basically renders Rhino unusable for me since I can’t produce dotted or dashed lines in a PDF. If i can’t figure this out within the next 6 hours I have a massive problem!

I have hundreds of dashed lines that display just perfectly fine in model view. Now I’m trying to print it in a 1/20 detail on a Layout since about an hour and can’t find any way to have the preview and/or print output show a dashed line. I just want it to look EXACTLY the way I drew it in Model view, no scaling whatsoever!

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just found out that one has to design Linetypes according to print preview and the scale them up using the scaling factor to show up in Model view. Really unclear why this can’t work the same way it does with e.g. Hatches where you just have a box to uncheck scaling globally.

3 Likes

hey Santaklon,

I guess they are fixing that somewhen:

cheers,
Benjamin