Line thickness

Not sure if your response is to me too, some extra info anyway…

im on a dell 7510 precision laptop

specs

• would it be possible to allow control of the way the lineweights scale as you mention? - its really crucial to us when we use Rhino for 2d drafting architectural plans that some lines are really thin since thats the way they will come out when printed.

I see that here too.

1 Like

I’ve spent a lot of time attempting to get high quality line work using our new wire drawing algorithms in V6 and am sure I’ll spend plenty more :slight_smile: I probably won’t have this any better for the initial release of 6.0 (hard to say), but I will continue to work on the wire drawing code and will hopefully have this improved in an early service release.

Thanks Steve.

@Troels_Madsen , @DanBayn, @BrianM , Steve added a test command for the next release-

testWireThicknessScale

so you can play and find the right setting - looks like maybe .8-.9 range might be v5-like, but if you can, please have a try and see what looks best for you - let us know!. The command does not autocomplete, you must type the whole thing.

It appears this is not persistent, so for now, if you find a setting you like, you can add a macro to your start-up commands in Options > General something like this

testWireThicknessScale Enabled=On Scale=.85 Enter

-Pascal

6 Likes

Personally I have to say that I liked the thicker lines since the first time I used the WIP. Use it on 1920x1080@23" and 2560x1440@25". Both look very nice to me. Also I haven’t spotted any differences between AMD and nvidia cards. Can’t tell no difference even with anti-aliasing. Had used both AMD and nvidia on the higher resolution display.
I never tried scaling, always use 100% on win10. Would only do it if I got a really high DPI display where 200% scaling makes sense.

1 Like

hI Pascal - THANK YOU! - im really looking forward to test this - when will it be issued?

Hi Troels - that I do not know, we’re kind of on ‘go-slow’ this week it seems.

-Pascal

2 Likes

(6.0.17354.5341,20-Dec-17)

Thanks @stevebaer and Pascal, for enabling a match to V5 display. This is a very nice feature
which allows thicker lines on the fly, without the need to create a displaymode.

At this stage, a good wire scale setting for my 1920x1200 screen is between 3 and 5.

2 Likes

This is a nice tool. Personally I like 0.6 but each of our users can custom tailor this to suit their preference. This would be a nice addition to the options.

Thanks,

Dan

This is great! Not only solves the thick default lines problem in V6 (I like it around 0.6 since it’s closest to V5 over here) but I can also see how it could be useful to temporary make the edges more pronounced for everything when taking hi-res screencaptures without messing with each object type in displaymodes…

Thanks @stevebaer for adding this. Hope one day it gets promoted to real command or integrated into UI (maybe under Options > VIew > OpenGL settings?)

–jarek

Great to hear this is working for you guys. I’ll look into making this an application setting that you can set using the advanced options dialog as the next step.

5 Likes

works great to be able to set the value according to your own preference - it would be great if “PrintDisplay” = on would work together with the new option - when i run it now it seems to ignore the testwirethicknessscale command?

hi - sorry to be chasing this topic so much but its since we use this every day - are there any ideas regarding when the wirethickness will be fully integrated and/or when “Printdisplay” will work with wirethickness turned on?

thank you!

This is on my list to add as an application level setting so you don’t need to remember the test command. I’m hoping to add this during the V6 service release cycle.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43088

1 Like

One of the “side effects” I have noticed is that when the scale is set to less than 1 - say around 0.6 which I like for surface edges - the curve display color gets considerably duller. It is fairly dramatic with pure colors against a dark background, and I am discovering this just now as I am starting testing of V6 with our lasers.

I understand that when the lines get thinner, they emit less light, looking effectively duller… The bright colors in V5 enable me to easily see if the student has applied the correct color - i.e. 0,255,0 for ‘green’ and not 0,200,0 which the laser will see as a different setting. So I guess I’ll end up toggling that setting on/off according to what I’m doing, unless there will be a separate setting for curves and surface edges.

–Mitch

1 Like

I’ve noticed it switches back to default when trying to use viewcapturetofile. So the images get the thick lines again…

Yes Mitch this value is way better also for my eyes.

I’m not sure why but v6 have many issues / differences with ui/vieport look v5 maybe was bit jagged but way much crisper v6 is indeed smoother but imho it is somehow overscaled and maybe not blured but also not crispy enough

1 Like

Yeah, I keep trying to find a good setting, but I haven’t really. I do notice it’s also different between different cards, my 980 at work is a little better than my 780 at home. But neither of them have a nice an antialiasing as V5, I still see "jaggies and some fuzziness no matter what I do. It does get a bit better if I override the max Rhino 8X setting in V6 and force 16X via the driver but still the same as V5. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to see the difference in the following downsampled images, click to open full size.

V5:

V6:

The lighting is better in V6, V5 looks somewhat dull in comparison. But the edge/iso quality is nicer IMO.

1 Like