That item , lets call it internal wall , IW1 was the result of simple surfacing cut into by another very simple surface, why it developed that measled mess is beyond me.
the following steps ideally require an image and a file, but until I get time for that, and working until 5am disallows just now, one can see that I used simple procedures. If things go measled everytime a simple surface from simple lines intersects another simple surface, is that me or rhino ? Only by stepping though the method used will we see where it went wrong.
- draw 4 lines and 2 corners using tan tan circle. result our back face edge call it Rail1a
- Post a thread on how best to find exterior tangent line on a 5mm dia pipe command made U shape, use result from answers for rail 2a, i see that InterpCrv projected onto pipe in top view gives the same curve so do that.
- create internal of that tangent on pipe line. using InterpCrv project method,… result rail 2b
- create a 5mm inset version of rail1, call it rail 1b
- create internal surface IS1 using NetworkCrv on rail1b and rail2b, line tool lines for the profiles at knots on start and end of corner curves between these.
Create a shape which is the curved front of this item, using line and circle tool.
Extrude that to make a surface. S1
Intersect S1 with internal surface IS1 to get front of this IW1
Select Rail 1a and Rail 1b and use planar surface command, get surface S2
Put lines (line tool) between S1 and S2 and perform sweep2, or I might have used NetworkSrf, probably sweep2.
I am a bit surprised that the result has developed measles.
As such I had not got as far as examining those lines as I didnt expect a mess.
I then selected this solid and ran Untrim command, it asks to select an edge, it wont let me.
select solid again and try for UntrimAll, item becomes deselected and asks for selection of faces, select all the faces, hit enter, nothing happens. KeepTrimObject=Yes each time.
What is wrong with my use of untrim, or untrimAll ? Preselecting or selecting after command makes no difference.
If I get time I will post the actual item in a step by step way to see just why basic simple steps create a mess.
does that mean there was a bug ?