Let's talk about Grasshopper 2.0

Very nice.
Since gh files can’t open in Grasshopper 2 i think people will continue use Grasshopper 1.
Will Grasshopper 2 replace Grasshopper 1 or it will be available as second option?

@DavidRutten congrats on the first release of GH2, I can’t wait to get my head into the new possiblities.

Not quite as excited about rewriting my 6800 component def of KaroroCAD from scratch to work in GH2, but I’m sure there will be a lot I can refactor in the process.

Cheers

DK

There is no replacement going on. We will continue to support and add new features to Grasshopper 1. You should also be able to run both Grasshopper 1 and Grasshopper 2 at the same time. You have to remember that this is the first alpha of GH2 and we expect it to take quite a while before we hit a point where we would consider it a stable official release.

2 Likes

When this happens, can you run the G2PluginViewer and see if you can find any error messages there, or whether the components missing in the tabs are in fact available in that viewer?

Very nice to see that ins’t an April fool

What is meant by ‘immutable’ in this case is that once a blob of meta data has been created, it cannot be changed. Not structurally (i.e. remove or add values to it), nor change any of the contained values. So if you add a new named value to an existing meta data blob, what you get a new blob containing all the old values plus that new value.

That bit is usually obscured in the UI, but it does mean that all the values inside the data must also be of only immutable types. So it’s not possible to store a Rhino curve or brep in meta-data, as those objects can be changed. To get around that limitation it is possible to store text and byte-arrays in meta-data, so a curve could be serialised to JSON or XML or an OpenNURBS chunk and included. It would then have to be deserialised when you want to get it out, which introduces overhead that wouldn’t exist if the meta data had been mutable.

On the other hand, a single meta datum can be shared amongst thousands of values, which again reduces memory overhead.

2 Likes

I haven’t done any work yet on rendering and materials. There’s no custom display component yet either, but as @diff-arch pointed out you can assign meta data to values which may affect their display colour, point symbol, dash pattern and so on. Also note that all previewable components and parameters have some very basic preview colour overrides in their pop-up options.

1 Like

Yeah you’re better off waiting a few months before you even start to consider converting production files.
There are a lot of file-management features planned for GH2 which aren’t done yet.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure what you mean, but in this respect there’s not a huge difference between GH1 and GH2. You can load and run files behind the scenes, and both versions in principle allow you to distribute calculations to other computers/applications. But GH2 remains a pure Rhino plug-in, we’re not going to release a stand-alone version, with or without UI.

Yes, will do when it happens next.

Is this a feature or a bug?

The Constant Picker is a neat idea!

There seems to be something astray with the Remap Number component.

Another bug! Find four more and you get a set of steak knives.

Logged under RH-68159.

13 Likes

@DavidRutten Awesome news! I might consider upgrading to Rhino 7 now!

Thank you for the hard work!

I am not super fan of the kidult aesthetic… I just hope it is not taking too much percentage of the resources dedicated to GH2 functionality! Hopefully it is mostly adding functionality from now on :slight_smile:

I think now in 2022 everyone know what visual programming is and how it works pretty much. Every software and even render engines have some sort of node interface now in 2022. I feel like this is what GH1 was supposed to be (in terms of interface) but it did just fine! :grin:

Will the interface offer further customization? Good to see it has a dark mode!

I really loved the idea if dropping relay to add onto a wire, I find it more intuitive than double clicking inside GH1.

My wish is to have more functionality for relays as definitions get more complex. I wish if it is possible to add a way for quicky adding Relays from a selected component (either upstream or downstream) with the relay automatically inherit the name of the params.

See video below, I used Elefront’s Data description to demonstrate this requested functionality.

2 Likes

Since this seems to be the bug report page ! I’ll start post some :smile:
Small weird things happening with the create tuple component (Windows)

edit: I guess it’s not a bug… It’s just prompting an nameless key for us to write. Maybe it could default the next letter? Not sure what would be the best.

Another one seems to be more general… the Control+Z command doesn’t seem to work properly (something that you can also see on the first video, at the end)

Panels cut the legend at the bottom (Chi(dof:2.00))

Another problem @DavidRutten, when crashing Gh2 in the function editor, it doesn’t ask to send report…

Thank you for the massive work and also for the alpha release ! Love it so far !
Cheers

1 Like

Is this where we should write comments and bugs?

Really nice to see the updates we have been catching a glimpse from your youtube previews!

It is great to see the more logical organisation. Here are a few comments I have, and I am completely aware that some of these may be purely down the current alpha state and many things may not be ported.

Reparameterize in right-click menu?
It would be nice if reparameterize was available on the right-click menu

Analysis groups
The reorganisation of the tabs appears to work well, from simpler to more complex. However, I would like to suggest to have the Analysis groups to be the first group in all tabs. Currently, it is the first group in the Text tab, the last group in the Curve Tab and Surface Tab, near the last in the Mesh tab, last in the transform Tab, and near the last in the Display tab. It’s inconsistent at the moment, and I get why it may make sense to put it near the end. However, since each tab has a different number of groups, it ends up being all over the place, to it can be nice to have the consistency knowing that no-matter what’s contained in the tab, the analysis group is always the first on the left.

Here is how they are are the moment

Colour popup
First off, the ability to give custom colours to different outputs is brilliant! Much better than having to wire a custom preview as with GH1. And it’s great that there are 6 presets of high contrast colours!. However for the colour popup, it would be great to have a selection of colours as with the Rhino colour popup. Also in the Rhino popup, it is great to see a list of colours and a list of the most recently used colours. It would be very useful to have at least a list of recently used colours in the GH2 colour popul

Here is the comparison between the Rhino and GH popups:

Rhino

GH perhaps below the colour selector, there can be color pop-ups

Number input
Is it a temporary behaviour to double-click, enter a number, and get a number input instead of a number slider? This is one of the best things about GH1, hitting the space bar or double-clicking, and entering a number.

Here is what I get when double-clicking and entering a number

Graph functions
Really appreciate all the additional functions that have been creates in the Maths Tab. I have been trying to replicate the behaviour of the old graph node. Is the the function editor?

It seems to do the job, and I really like the more thurough editor, but at this stage, it seems that many of the functionalities are still being added, since the polynomial function buttons don’t do anything when they are pressed

Or is the quick graph eventually going to offer similar behaviours as in gh1 graphs?

Loops?
Sorry if I am getting a little ahead, but curious, will there be native loops in GH2?

Merge Data
I couldn’t find the node, I assume it probably hasn’t been ported yet.

1 Like

Ideally a new post, easier to keep track that way.

Yeah, none of the type specific modifiers have been added yet. Invert for Booleans, Unitize for Vectors, Reparametrize for Curves, etc. I haven’t even made a list yet of which ones I want to add.

I’m still reorganising the layout all the time, I add to many components to one panel and decide it needs splitting up etc. Although I hadn’t considered putting the analysis tools in the front…

You can switch between colour palettes in the colour picker menu (click over the cube/sphere), and then some named colours will be available, although not as easily selectable as in the Rhino picker.

I did start work on a user palette UI as well, which is currently only used in the _G2PaletteEditor window. The little grid which fades in when you mouse-over the [Colour] label after you add a colour. It’s very much a failed proof-of-concept at the moment. My idea was you could specify certain squares and connections between squares, and then the connected but unspecified squares would be interpolations of nearby colours.

I like the idea of having recently used colours list on the picker.

At the moment you have to type ‘0<.45<1’ to get such a slider. But that stuff can all be changed or made into options.

Ps. Type a question mark into the double-click field to see some of the special formats.

4 Likes

No this is quite different. I’ll probably add something which looks like the Graph Mapper did, but for now you

1. Create a function (any way you like)
  2. Use [Evaluate Function] to map a number.
1 Like

I hope so. But it’s such a hugely complicated topic that I usually give up after thinking about it for 10 minutes.

7 Likes