Let DWG/DXF import plugin load UCS as new Cplanes

It would be great if dwg/dxf importing plugin could import UCSs as new CPlanes (or if there was some other way to retrieve them into Rhino doc).

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
I agree. This looks like an oversight. Thanks for letting us know.

I have add this to our issue tracking system for the developers to review and hopefully implement in a future Rhino.
RH-71282: AutoCAD DWG/DXF I/O Support for NamedCplanes = AutoCAD Named UCS
Hopefully our DWG/DXF libraries will support it, and it can support can add pretty efficiently…

When there is an fix to be tested, you will be notified here.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Perfect, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, this should be in a separate thread, but two more suggestions for the DWG export plugin:

• lock viewports in layouts if they were locked in Rhino

• option to output “linear curves” as lines, not splines (equivalent of running ````SelLines Convert``` command before saving DWG)

• and it would be also great for the plugin to give information which objects cause it to fail when that happens (unless it’s already available in some other place)

Hi Daniel,

1. lock viewports in layouts if they were locked in Rhino
    I see this and will write it up. Geez, I thought we had this fixed at one point.

2. option to output “linear curves” as lines, not splines (equivalent of running ````SelLines Convert``` command before saving DWG)
    This is already in Rhino. During the DWG/DXF export you can pick from one of the export “flavors”. Or you can edit one, and make your own. I believe that flavor “2007 Lines” does what you describe.
    However if it does not, save as and change to the behavior that you want.
    2007 Lines

compare to 2007 Natural

3. "and it would be also great for the plugin to give information which objects cause it to fail when that happens (unless it’s already available in some other place)"
    Please clarify and send a small file that will help us understand this.
    Which plugin are you referring to? Our import DWG and DXF already does do this.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to the future WIP releases :slight_smile:

1. That’s true, but it seems like output of Make2D command produces curve objects instead of lines even when they are “very linear” - it hasn’t been an issue in rhino, but my impression is that when they are exported to AutoCAD they are treated as curves, not lines and become DWG splines (that are hard to edit in AutoCAD). Turning everything into Lines/Polylines isn’t ideal neither, because some objects (e.g. door swings) would ideally be represented as arcs/splines.

It can be repaired by running SelLine Convert, but I think that it would be easier to have it as an option in the DWG plugin?

2. Files sent. This is the output I was getting (conveniently enough, this was before running SelLine Convert, which made it to work fine, but I think that more control over this process would be useful as well)

Use SimplifyCrv to convert those entities that are line-like or arc-like within tolerance into “real” lines/arcs. There is also a checkbox to do this automatically on dxf/dwg export, but I prefer to do this manually beforehand.

It’s not necessary to convert everything to lines/polylines. Just make sure lines are set to lines and polylines are set to polylines in the export dialog in whatever scheme you use. Turn off unwanted tessellation by unchecking all of the boxes at the bottom - except perhaps the last one - simplify.

1 Like

RH-71282 is fixed in the latest WIP

2 Likes

Thank you, i have totally missed that checkbox. You are right that turning it on solved my issue (I will bear in mind that sometimes it may be better to select them manually).

EDIT: AutoCAD kept butchering the lines which were exported as splines and simplifyCrv option didn’t help prevent this behavior. Maybe the settings were not consistent across (clicking Save didn’t always save them and another Rhino sessions might have used previous settings). What did work 100% though was exporting all curves and polycurves as polyline… not ideal, but works for now.

@brian Great news :tada: Will test it first thing tmr morning.
EDIT: can confirm that it’s working now. thank you - really helpful :slight_smile:

I didn’t mean to make this thread a general DWG/DXF plugin wishlist, but it would be really helpful if you could please let me know if it’s possible to make the option “Color by AutoCAD index” work only when the color exactly matches the value (e.g. 255,0,0 is red index 1, but 255,0,1 would become an RGB value).

What happened is that colors in AutoCAD don’t match those in Rhino - for me red and white are set to black and a way to overwrite those specific layers/elements would be really helpful…