Learning paneling basics - Lunchbox/Paneling tools

Hi,

I’m trying to teach myself lunchbox and basic paneling tools and I’m reading some of the forums here around the different levels of difficulty with trimmed and untrimmed surfaces and so on. My questions are partly around workflow and part understanding list structures… To start, I’m looking to recreate DP Architect’s Esplanade Theaters in Singapore by starting with a simple surface and understanding the conceptual framework around the attractor system of the panels before refining and getting deeper into the whole facade.

For the moment my assumption is I can get there by:

1. Panelizing the surface with LB diamond grid.

2. Turning diamonds into simple 1x1 meshes

3. Deconstructing the mesh to extract every #2 point on every face. I got stuck with the list structure and how to obtain this index at every face… I’m not sure how to do that… Instead I flattened my list and opted to extract random points so I can offset/move in the direction of each normal…

4. Reconstruct the mesh by replacing each of the moved points in the original list. I am stuck here as well.

5. Finally setting my attractor point and its all downhill from there.

I need help understanding how to navigate the list structure and the process to deconstructing/reconstructing things without destroying the structure of the panels. But more importantly, is this the right approach generally?

Thanks
Diamond egg.gh (141.3 KB)

Diamond egg_ww.gh (144.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Will. If I understand this correctly, you basically re-organized the diamond points so that when rejoined they appear to be raised per the referenced geometry. I would like to have some control over the height though

Just to propose an alternative here, using lunchbox to create 800+ surfaces and convert back to meshes is a little inefficient. Best to stick to a straight to mesh approach if you can imho. The M+ userobjects are very handy for this (search on food4rhino, but as they are just vb scripts they will run in the attached file regardless). They can diamond tile and explode a mesh, then just replace the second item after moving it - replace the slider with a list for different values.

Even if you wish to stick with lunchbox, hope this helps understand the logic of handling double arrays like this.
Diamond egg2.gh (143.0 KB)

1 Like