Layout Publishing & BOM Tables Wishes

hi @Ncik not at all, in fact maybe you’re overthinking it, it should be really quite simple. The user should be able to assign whatever data the object requires., choose column names in the table, Name, Finish, Material, Size, Quantity etc, comletely customisable, but a simple table. I’m a previous user of Vectorworks, and the way tables work inside VW was great.

If you have no use for it thats fine, many others will put this functionality to great use

2 Likes

Some of my clients have very prescriptive demands for the way that notes and parts tables are portrayed in drawings. Those demands also differ from one client to another. Fonts, text heights, row and column spacing, line weights are all defined. A generic ‘Here’s a table, go stick it in your drawing’ just doesn’t work for me.

As a result, the control of the table appearance would have to be very granular if it’s to be usable. Where the content is concerned, I think Rhino is getting close to having things covered with the way that user defined information/text assignment is going. It’s not quite there yet, but it’s not far off. The user interface for the control of that information and auditing the assignment to geometry could be improved.

Although it’s not specifically related to BOM, Rhino really needs to get on board with supporting STEP AP242. It has the tools to port PMI to other CAD, which is where it crosses paths with BOM. The only STEP formats Rhino currently supports were deprecated in 2014. That’s EIGHT years ago. And counting.

Thats simple stuff, nothing complicated needs doing here, simple table generator, ability to choose typeface, font size etc, a dynamic table which can be exported out to excel and placed on the relevant Layout pages. We like our tables in a certain format & style, I wouldn’t expect McNeel to make our needs one of the default styles :upside_down_face:
You’re never going to please everybody, but there is a basic need for this inside Rhino,

i had this suggestion regarding this. in user data key value there could be an option for calculating quantities based on clicking on subobjects. as of now you can include length volume area of the whole object as fx value. this improvement would be the same but it would be more advanced allowing clicking on subobjects.i see huge potential benefits. you can. model whole railing as a block and then just click on few edges and say that this is the lenght value to key “length”. or having modelled earth anchor and click that this set of edges is length of the anchor. or these faces of solid are paint area….

Hello McNeel,

so it is 2024, R8 is out…

Is there any new about a table function beeing added in the foreseable future?
Maybe just start with something basic, get user feedback and start to build up from there…

Please

1 Like

Hi Andreas -

As was stated in post 3 in this thread, a native table generator was not on the list of things to do in Rhino 8.

We haven’t started the process of identifying which new features will go into Rhino 9.
-wim

@stevebaer this is still not implemented correctly, it forces you to have the name of the file before the layout page name, it might aswell be V7 when it comes to printing PDF’s from Layout pages :man_shrugging:t4:

@Trav is this on your list?

Sort of, there are a couple 8.x YT’s with requests on how the file name should be strung together. This request by @milezee is slightly different but on the same topic. My plan is to just give some form of different UI that lets you string it together based on the 3 different factors, file names, layout names, and numbers. RH-78902

3 Likes

… and the original: RH-64199 Print: Offer layout name as the pdf file name
-wim

3 Likes

@Trav thanks for looking into this, it really is necessary to have just the layout name of each sheet, especially in the architectural/interiors/construction sectors, most of our drawings have to be uploaded to an online document portal such as VfP, each sheet page has its own unique drawing number. We hope this can be implemented soon :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Mary, I was wondering if the ExportBlockAttributes made it to Rhino 8. I have not been able to find it (maybe it has a different name), but it would be a great feature.

Best regards,

David

Hi @david.sanchez1,
So sorry for the delay.
I lost this thread and finally found it.

Yes, it is still a test command, but fully functional:
TestExportBlockAttributes

Here are a couple helpful block scripts for counting blocks and other details about block.
This should probably replace what is in Rhino 8.
ResetBlock.py (970 Bytes)
export_block_counts_v5.py (5.7 KB)
Export Block Count offers all these details to send to a CSV file.
I would like to see this include Attributes, if the blocks have them.

Let me know if these help.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Hi Mary, thank you for this great input. Having it export attributes would be indeed great. Right now I have been able to handle the attributes with the “rhino” tab of GH1 for Rhino 8.

The new tools are really nice :slight_smile:

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

Could you share an example of how you’ve solved the problem? I’m currently trying to go down the same route of creating sheet lists using GH…