Layout Objects are Darker than Object in Detail View

Hello,

Ive been running into this issue when placing objects into the layout view. Currently It is occuring with dimensions (great indicator wrong placed dimensions) and Textures on surfaces. If i want to place a texture swatch outside of a detail in the layout view it comes out alot darker.

I think this maybe a feature that was added to tell the difference between what is in which space, however I work in both areas. Is this something that can be toggled?

A work around ive considered is to duplicate the material and edit the properties of the texture in the material editor panel, bumping the gain up. However, Everytime i adjust the output settings, the texture goes black.

I end up making a second texture in photoshop, uploading it in the new material and applying, and adjusting the settings in PS to match. This really is not a good work flow.

Here are the Stats for the machine it is occuring on:

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-16 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19106.18421, Git hash:master @ f05ebc98a63bb79de33e0ba2cafc4fe30ca8cf4d)
License type: Evaluation, build 2019-04-16
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: rhinolouvers321 ()
Expires on: 2019-05-18

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: MSI

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-30-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.81

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-30-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1881
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Both of these textures are the same

update:

I tried dropping in the image from file explorer and placed in the layout view as a picture with the same result. PNG and JPEG

Can you set the gamma to 1.0 in the rendering panel? (under linear workflow) Then compare the two?

Hi Nathan,

It keeps going black if i adjust any of the settings. Maybe i dont understand the linear workflow part? is it in the same place under bitmap texture->color adjustments? The going balck part i think maybe a different thing.

The reason i dont think it has to do with the texture is because i notices a tone change in my dimensions if im using a red. its looks different between the two spaces. i could be wrong though. not sure how the back end works

Nathan!

You are the pro! Thanks :slight_smile: FIxed :slight_smile:

Its hard to communicate the issue sometimes, cause i dont know all the places to look. Wouldnt have thought to look there

Thanks again

Thanks for verifying. I have this logged as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-52252

I guess a question I have (simply curiosity) Is: Why are you setting the Layout viewport’s display mode in general? And moreover, why set it to Rendered mode? What are your usage cases for this?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Just to clarify, we do not change the layout display mode, only objects and details in the layout view. Basically its using the picture importer as it works in the model space. or taking a surface and setting its object display mode

A color / texture swatch callout is what we are going for :slight_smile:

Hope that explains.

Best,
Stephen

Thanks…yes I see now… I made the assumption you were messing with the layout view’s display mode since “gamma” settings were being discussed…

-Jeff