Layout & Drafting: What's the plan?

I can not find out improvement for architects in Rhino 8. It looks it’s still impossible to set different linewidth and color for projection and section, which means we can’t still produce drawing. Then, do we need RCP view?

3 Likes

yes there is almost nothing for us. capsule text frame and snapping to clipping planes…

2 Likes

Very useful!

@Eugen

I wish you could outline the most important Revit features and procedures for 3D to 2D drafting. I loathe Revit and all Autodesk UI/UX, causing me to feel pressure and despondency with every sense.

ArchiCAD is more compatible with Rhino users’ preferences.

Someone mentioned the ViewGraphics aspects of Revit; they are essential to have. Nevertheless, prior to that, I believe the other issues (can’t recall…) should be handled.

Keep it up; I like your suggestions.

1 Like

I am the Lead Design Engineer at my company and I do not work in Solidworks as does the rest of my team, I prefer the freedoms within RHINO, and feel that it is a much more powerfull software fro creation and invention. That said however, 2D technical part drawings within RHINO are still somewhat combersome and challenging. I would like to have a future state RHINO relesase with intuitive CAD GD&T in order to rapidly create technical drawings of components out of my rhino model. See below a sample of the 2D environment in solidworks that really works great.

3 Likes

Thanks, @rwaissi.
There is a lot to unpack here in the video.
Rhino is not a SolidWorks clone.
However, there are many similar features on the Wish list for future Rhinos.

There are a few improvements that you will see in Rhino 8 WIP.
When you add a Layout now, you can pick the detail configuration.

What exactly are you seeing in the SolidWorks video that you would like to see in Rhino?
This is what I see:

• Wizard Approach to adding a Layout with the browsing for a Title Block. (1:55s)
  • Sheet Layout that seems like it is separate file (1.06s)
  • Tool for generating Details from existing Details, that are related in projection…
  • Tool for creating Details with Clipping planes assigned to do the sectioning. (2:49s)
  • Geometric Tolerancing: very specific to mechanical drafting, and surprisingly in vanilla AutoCAD.

Let me know if I missed any other feature that you are looking for.
And if it is in the video, send the time we can find it.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

BOM support will be great.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it is simple to add. But one thing that I would love is for the Leader to have an option to link to the object you clicked and get a properties automatically.

I would add the option to the leader to select between Text / Property and Wich property, and it should hold its configuration so I could add as many leaders as I need as quick as possible.

That would be good with a BOM/Table feature, my work around right now is using object properties too add the necessary info, then exporting it as CSV and reimporting it using some grasshopper Kung Fu.

The workflow would be BOM command, slect objects, read key values from objects properties, user selects and rearanjes Collums as necessary, click ok, table with lines and text appears on the selected annotation configuration.

2 Likes

I am already using this approach but would be great to have native BOM capabilities inside Rhino. Right now I am using some Grasshopper Kung-Fu to read the keys/values properties of all my objects to generate a BOM from Grasshopper.

4 Likes

Oh, why am I doing extra steps ? duh, just straight up to the drawing with grasshopper fu sounds way smarter!

Today, I attempted to create a simple section of a bus stop for execution, including a street section and the bus stop, but unfortunately, it was not possible to obtain good drawings. This experience left me feeling frustrated and disappointed.

I was wondering if there might be a contractual agreement between visualARQ and MCNeel that is preventing Rhino from having a more robust and usable drafting system. In my opinion, implementing the basics of drafting should be part of the Rhino standard application, and it’s concerning that there has been no significant progress on this front in recent years. Without basic features, what’s the point of having drafting tools at all?

In addition, I believe that MCNeel needs to be more transparent with their development roadmap. Users should have a better understanding of what updates and features are being worked on and when they can expect them to be released.

On a positive note, if MCNeel doesn’t want to copy VisualARQ, I suggest introducing a class system (style, pen) in which objects could be assigned to specific classes that would control their styles, such as hatch color, hatch line type, hatch line thickness, transparency, cutting line type, cutting line thickness, texture, or material. This would streamline the settings process and make it much more user-friendly. Currently, I find myself scrolling horizontally to make all the necessary settings, and I struggle to define the cutting lines correctly or combine them with hatches, which makes it quite difficult to achieve the desired outcome. The layer system/concept could basically stay as it is.

Are you aware that you can testdrive the next WIP version the moment a full version is released?
Regarding roadmap: you know the youtrack page? That’s pretty open, no?

In the drafting department, R8 already has section hatches, a better layer panel (that avoids messing up layout/detail layers), improved clipping planes, more object properties including linetype scale, true line thickness in viewports, and section tools built in.

There’s a new RMB context menu in the layer panel (discovered this only yesterday), that could save the horizontal scrolling. What bothers me though is that it’s in a submenu. Might as well pop up directly when ALT-RMB-clicking a layer.

Regarding Asuni/VisualArq: don’t suppose there’s a deal between them and McNeel. I’m wondering, though, what will be done (on both sides) about feature doublets that are coming up. Like section hatches, or (one fine day) DWG export from layout space. Double development isn’t particularly efficient, and it’s confusing to the user.

1 Like

Thank you for the hint. Yes, I am using WIP.
Ok let’s discuss the following case: I need to have the cutting edges of an object to be drawn in a continuous line with a thickness 0.18 in black. The hatch needs to be either on a white or grey background with a line thickness of 0.03 in either white or grey. How do I do that?
How can I assign this to to different objects in the same layer but not all?

Agreed. Those settings are strewn across the UI.
I find it confusing that part of them reside in the Section Style (of the layer, object, or clipping plane),
and another part in the Display Mode.

I did not find out where to set the cutting edge and hatch line thickness.

I’d suggest all those settings should be collected in the Section Styles.
Just like VisualArq does it (except the hatch line thickness. I believe that cannot be set)

4 Likes

A BOM or Table creation of contents would be a massive step in the right direction

4 Likes

Just to clarify: just as soon as you purchase or upgrade to the current WIP when it is officially released you can download and use the next WIP.

For example: when V8 is officially released it will no longer be a WIP and you will not be able to use it anymore. If you purchase the upgrade from your current full version to the released V8 you will be able to test the new V9 WIP.

That’s my understanding, but I don’t work for McNeel.

Yes I have also got this far, but that is not enough for professional plans.

Yes, that makes no sense at all. Do I need to create different clipping planes for different styles now? This should be able to be assigned to objects as a class.

There is no such option and it is probably the most important aspect of a drawing. It’s all about the line thickness, because it contains the information about what responsibility the element has or how the plan is looked at.

This is a must! Otherwise everything else is completely useless.

BIM, BAM, BOM, BUM, BÖM, BÄM and of course BÜM would be the next step. We are far from that, unfortunately.

2 Likes

After checking youtrack, I noticed that there could be more focus on drafting. However, I want to be respectful and acknowledge that my assumption about McNeel’s concept is rather rude, and I don’t want to offend anyone. Overall, I think McNeel is doing a great job, but there seems to be a persistent issue with defining a straightforward drafting concept. I would like to bring up the concept of classes (styles, pens, whatever you want to call it) later in this comment.

In addition, I’d like to mention that Vectorworks and Archicad struggle with working with medium size STL files that have more than 50k faces, depending on the workstation, and are not scalable really with better hardware. This can be a limitation when working with 3D scans and point clouds. This is where Rhino is very strong! That is why drafting sections from scans in those apps is a pain. They have the tools but are not able to handle 3D-Data. Rhino knows how to handle the data but does not have the tools (yet :*).

Now, let me briefly outline the benefits of classes as a “styling instrument.” It could be an effective solution for introducing BIM and BOM, or other smart planning techniques in the future.

Classes could include settings for clipping planes/section tools.

• line color and thickness for section borders to indicate importance of the object/part (already somehow in rhino but controlled in the clipping plane settings without the possibility to set numbers like 0.13; this is a setting that is changed often in a workflow and must be accessible more easily)
  • section surface color for details indicating the material in execution (unfortunately connected to hatch line color atm and is therefore rendered useless)
  • hatch line color and thickness (also indicating the material and the importance in the plan; currently it does not work because it is somehow also connected to the surface color)
  • visibility toggles for different layouts (already in rhino)
  • hatch scale and offset (for accurate placement; already in rhino)
  • material for rendering (already in rhino)
  • other information about the object (not depending on the layer; already a bit in rhino) that can be added with a plus and minus button or for future smart planning developments, such as cost or other relevant factors. (I am not so sure how to do the last part. But this would be the second step and has a lower priority for me)

The layer system, of course, stays because it serves as the primary hierarchy instrument for grouping, visibility, and exporting etc. Classes could either be an addition that override some settings, or maybe some settings get moved to the classes section.

Edit and far-fetched: using workspaces for different areas like blender does could help rhino keep the user experience (UX) from becoming too overwhelming—if you’re (McNeel) worried about that. By allowing users to switch between specialized workspaces, blender can provide a more streamlined and focused workflow for different tasks, which can have a positive impact on improving the UX. For example, if someone doesn’t need classes, they can use Rhino’s standard classic interface, but if they work in production for industrial design or architecture, they can switch to a workspace that includes classes. The UI would thereby subtly point to the standard workflow in fields like architecture or industrial design. The option to use it is of course available for all workspaces. In that sense, Rhino does not compromise integrity if that is a fear.

5 Likes

@jsbzh
Thank you for the kind reply. There are a lot of settings being thrown at the user, mostly to see what sticks and what option is best for each user. This type of approach while powerful and adaptable, can be confusing to many.

Clip controls which clipping plane affects the object. Clipping can be set by object, by layer or by parent for block control.

When the clipping plane is set to the object(s), Section Style controls the fill style that the object is clipped with. This can be by object with custom, or by layer or by parent for block control.

The request is for a Section Style manager has been logged RH-73683.

Currently, the width control is only available in the Display mode.
I have wrapped request that into the YT above.

@rajaa will reply how SectionTools in the WIP can affect or augment this workflow.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Support

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I’m excited to see the improvements to customizability, specifically for thickness, color, and type.

The link doesn’t appear to be directing to the intended thread, as the resulting page displays an error message stating: ‘Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private’.