Layout & Drafting: What's the plan?

Hoi Gijs -

The Home key (running UndoView) restores the previous view - or, at least, it does so in a quick test in Rhino 8.
-wim

Hi -

Please use Rhino - Upload to Support - make sure to copy the url of your post into the comments field.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding this - is the file open in Rhino 7 and you then want to open that same file in Rhino 8?
-wim

@wim @stevebaer

Thanks. I don’t know, I can’t seem to repeat the behavior right now in quick test but I remember undo was not possible and even it would do that on locked details.
I’ll report back if that happens again but if this indeed works and undo view works then it’s a good alternative.

If you can repeat this with any file, just make a box in Rhino 7 and save that for upload. A 20mb file seems unnecessary

Hi Gijs -

There was an issue with not being able to undo the first view change in a new detail that was fixed not all that long ago but those were rather very specific conditions.
But, yes, please let us know if you run into something like that.
-wim

Hi there,
thanks for the good work guys, interesting list. I will also chip in with my whit. Sorry if I am copying someone else’s words here.

Layout organisation
I think we need more options to organize the layout book. Sorting in sub sets with an option of printing these would be a great improvement. Maybe something like a publisher, where you can place, group and sort layouts independently? https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28175

Export layout to dwg
Which is a must within the building industry.

Layer visibility in detail, layout
As mentioned many times here, I can just agree that sometimes this is nothing but pain. Many great ideas have been conceived before, so I will keep my mouth shut :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yep, these three are all on our radar. I only listed projects that are actively being worked on in Rhino and don’t want to overpromise on items we haven’t even begun to work on.

4 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see the post before. I uploaded the file with the link Wim posted. Thx.

Hi -

I’m not having any issues opening that file on Rhino 8 here. Could you please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here?
-wim

Strange…

Rhino 8 SR0 2022-2-16 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.22047.04306, Git hash:master @ 2ba658f38e2b55a026cc6bd1e6910b67fae831ab)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-16
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-04-02

Apple macOS Version 12.2 (Build 21D49) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Language: en-IT (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 450 OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-4.7.103)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 450
Displays: Color LCD (258dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel HD Graphics 530 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 450 (2 GB)
Color LCD (1680 x 1050)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Apple T1 Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNetwork.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomePubSub.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomeStreams.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
/Users//Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/maxwell_rhino.rhp “Maxwell for Rhino” 5.2.6.1

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Constraints.rhp “Constraints” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.0.22047.4306
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 8.0.22047.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.22047.4306

Thanks for that information.
I’ve now also tested it on my Mac and that works fine, too.
Could you provide the exact steps that you take from when all instances of Rhino are completely closed?
Also, have you tried disabling Maxwell to see if that makes a difference?
-wim

May have been said before… (easy to run in circles in this gigantic thread):
We already have Snapshots, which are a cool thing. Couldn’t these somehow be assigned to a Layout?
Once a Layout is set up nicely, and all Layers in all Details are sorted out, a Snapshot is created, which is automatically reloaded when going out of the Layout and back in.
A Snapshot saves pretty much all aspects of the scene one could wish for in a Layout:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I too would love to see some symbols that allow for 2 areas of text (not multi-line) that correlate to 2 different things on a drawing

essentially a bubble callout that allow you to label the DETAIL “A” (here in example) and the PAGE it exists on “-002” (for example)

1 Like

I mean I wouldn’t put it past them. I was waiting for t-splines to come back to life for yearrrrrrrrrrs.

I think it’s in the works and probably requires a ton of research and development… I know whatever they end up doing is going to be great.

Layouts should be connected/linked with layer states. Would be a simple way of doing it with the tools that Rhino already has.

4 Likes

For those not familiar with ArchiCAD, Vectorworks has a somewhat similar approach with design layers and sheet layers. Design layers are like stacked model spaces where sheet layers are like layouts.
It also has classes which are basically the equivalent of AutoCAD’s layers when it comes to functionality, combined with hierarchical levels.

Design layers can be used for both 2D and 3D and shown independently of each other in viewports on the sheet layers.

Combined with visibility, snap, and selectability/editability settings for layers and classs it allows for flexible and finetuned structuring of the content and can ease workflow quite a bit by getting clutter out of the way when needed. Layer states and xrefs in AutoCAD and dwg likes feel like a workaround compared to Vectorworks.
If there is one Vectorworks thing I would like to see in other CAD software including Rhino it is this.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it seems to be a fact that CAD software documentation is often incomplete, lacking in sufficient detail or making it a search and hunt experience to find the information you need and then find out it isn’t there at all or such a generic statement that it doesn’t any useful meaning

e.g. something silly like stating “Circle: a round shape” without explaining how to use it/draw a circle (Imaginary simplified example but you get the idea of what I am trying to convey)

1 Like

Thank you for the first improvements regarding the layout in WIP. I would like to summarize again briefly a few things in a list, which my environment and I consider important for maybe the next steps.

For architects:

Hatches and Cut-fills:

• Hatches per object in a section + box-like option to combine same hatches in a section without the boundary line between objects → floor + wall are sometimes shown as one unit and sometimes not, depending on scale.
  • Solid hatches menu like a “hatch factory” → concrete is different in e.g. Germany, Switzerland, Spain etc (concrete, brick, insulation, wood, steel), also with control of line thickness. This is very important, because in sections you have different thicknesses for objects, depending on the importance of structural responsibility. Load-bearing walls are drawn with a thicker line than drywall, for example. Which again also depends on the scale.
  • Ability to move and rotate hatches (e.g. with the gumball) for the specific sections → Like UV controls in the sense of moving texture on a plane.

Linetypes:

• Correctly displayed linetypes (dashed, etc.) in the viewport and on the layout page → no more weird scaling.
  • Wavy linetypes for special kinds of things like pipelines or frequencies! Maybe set up a “line factory” menu.
  • Linetypes that can be assigned to objects(1) as classes → a little sister of the layer menu. “Like a pen set in colors and customizable” especially important for sections → as mentioned before, load bearing walls are usually represented with a thicker linetype, but the hatch linetype is thinner. In general: Assign different thicknesses and colors to section lines and fills/hatches.

1 (edit: maybe also layers: this would need discussion bc there might be some people who need that)

Dimensions:

• Dimensions that can be chained together.
  • Possibility to lock dimension distances to the object → e.g. always 8mm in the layout
  • Dimensions that stick to vertices and edges

Layout:

• Displayed layout frames in viewport → maybe layout frame layer?
  • Different frame shapes with splines so you can make hearts or pentagrams, depending on client (jk) → can be useful for competitions or for icons and exploded drawings
  • Allow frames to be flipped 180° upside down!!
  • Possibility to layout Grasshopper respectively the nodesetup!

Point clouds:

• Option to make them independent of render style

Text:

• Stable text interface and please add pt. Also an option for color independent from layers would be great!
  • Showing Equations in layouts is sometimes useful too
  • Units like m2 for the area command

Sections:

• Surfaces, solids and meshes can be used as “cut” geometry! Very good for communication in digital fabrication and complex shapes, especially with scanned objects!
  • Ability to arrange sections on a page → if you move the section (plane, surface, solid or mesh), the drawing changes accordingly.

Scale:

• Menu to enter the scale like: 1:100 or 1:20.

General:

• Sections to vectors when exported!
  • Edit: I also wanted to add the need for something like layers and classes:

Layers are used to group objects together and assign them to a specific layer. Each object can only be assigned to one layer at a time, and objects on different layers do not interact with each other. Layers can be turned on or off, which allows users to control which objects are visible at any given time. Layers can also be given specific properties, which allows users to easily distinguish between different types of objects.

Classes are similar to layers, but they can be used to group objects in a more flexible way. Objects in the same class can be assigned to different layers, and multiple classes can be assigned to the same layer. Classes can also be given specific properties, such as line type or color, which allows users to easily distinguish between different types of objects.

Overall, layers and classes are useful tools for organizing and managing the objects in a design, and can help users work more efficiently and effectively.

9 Likes

please tell me about improvements in wip, i havent noticed much

Hello everyone, I’m trying rhino 8. I realized that it’s still not possible to assign different thicknesses and colors to section lines and fills. Please at least integrate this…

5 Likes