Layout dimensioning - suggested Help file improvement

I have been experimenting with adding dimensions to layout details. This is what the Help file tells you:

The text and the picture suggest that you should activate the relevant detail viewport first, then add the dimensions. Although this works, it is incorrect since the dimensions will be added to the model rather than the layout. I am finding that the dimensions can be added without activating the detail, they will be scaled according to the detail scale, and they will be added to the layout page as I think they should be. And in case the detail is in rendered view mode, you would not even see a dimension added to the model.
I feel that the Help file should be improved to reflect this properly.

Max.

I agree,

Dimensioning should be done in paper space, it makes for a much cleaner interface. Dimensioning in paper space means that all dims/text line widths and line types are the same and there are no issues with scaling.

Andy

Also remember to turn on history when placing dimensions on the layout. When you move or scale a detail, the dimensions will follow.

1 Like

Andy, I believe that was the intention all along, but it is not described properly. The “issues with scaling” you mentioned are solved neatly, if your detail is not on a 1:1 scale, the dimensions will reflect the true model dimensions even though the leaders and text are placed on the layout page.

What I really don’t understand is the meaning of the last part of the Help text: “For example, if a beam is labeled as M8X6.5, it needs to be in the detail viewport.”

Max.

Good point wim, that should be in the Help as well.

1 Like

Hmmm… You know I’ve never applied that before. That is really helpful.

Can you foresee a reason why history shouldn’t be applied to dimensions in paper space as a default? There is no benefit that I can see where having a floating dimension not parametrically linked to an object unless it’s a leader or textdot. It would make more sense to have history enabled and then break the link if you don’t require it.

1 Like

Likewise, I’ve tried working with history turned on all of the time in the past, it’s a pain, but it makes so much sense regarding dimensioning in paper space. How many times have you clicked in the viewport accidentally or moved something a smidgen only to have several dims need moving or redrawing due to scale changes?

The vast majority of drawings I do are not to scale so tweaking viewports and moving things around to look neat/well balanced on the page makes dimensioning a pain sometimes - thanks for the history tip! I can’t believe I’ve not thought of it myself - just goes to show how important that option is and how helpful it could be.

Andy

@margaret Is this something you can help with?

No, I understand the problem.
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-35550