Layer wish: show object´s layer

it would be great to have a layer column indicating on which layer the selected object is (or multiple selected objects are)

illustrator for example allows to change an object´s layer by dragging this symbol to another layer and even COPY objects to another layer by alt-dragging this symbol, which is very handy.

You are missing something… [quote=“brt1, post:1, topic:5301”]
it would be great to have a layer column indicating on which layer the selected object is (or multiple selected objects are)
[/quote]

A couple of ways to do this

Rhinoceros can select an object or multiple objects to a layer by single click

Here is the demo…
http://www.screencast.com/t/KBRm6qY7AI

thanks for the explanations. i know about these possibilities.
but whats wrong about having these options on the layers-tab additionally?
the benefit is that you immideately see the layer in the layer list and dont have to look it up (in a maybe long list of similarily named layers)
also if you have long layer names and nested layers the layer title does not fit into the box in the status bar.

what about alt-copying to another layer

Rightmouse on a layer “copy to objects to layer” does work right?

yes, works.
thanks, did not know this one.
still its one right klick and then looking up the command in a long list.
the illustrator-way is only one drag and more intuitive to my mind - maybe a question of personal taste

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #6

When moving objects, you can also select the objects to be moved and select the target layer from the layers organizer next to the “Grid Snap” on the bottom of the screen. This is even faster than RightClick on layer + Change Object layer.

This is a nice feature, but the implementation is weak. If I like to know something from the enabled infos, than I don’t like to wait several seconds until it is shown. There a lot of free space at this area and I would prefer to see all selected infos side-by-side at this line. If there are to much infos to show than it could be shown like a sideward scrolling news ticker.

But I afraid this little wish will be never implemented like I ask some months before to get the file size shown in MB instead kB at the top menu and it’s still in kB. My current file size is 1178177 kB - I’m not a computer, I’m a human and I understand infos like 1178 MB or better 1,2 GB.

@brt1 @Micha

It depends on what monitor size you use. The bigger monitors are, the more spaces you have on that option. What monitor size did you capture the image from? (Just curious) seems really big, micha…

-Kev

@brt1 @Micha

For me, this is the part I don’t like… Layer part needs to improve, it just takes too much space…

It’s 2560x1440, so it’s big, but not so big like at the Retina screens. I think we well see more high res screens in the near future.
The Rhino development should be more hardware oriented. I have 32 cores, but only the power of one is used by Rhino, a modern graphic card - the power isn’t used, a large screen, much space is unused. Only the file sizes are big, so that modern hard disk are needed. :wink:

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #11

You can open other dock panels below the Layers Panel.

(Pascal Golay) #12

Hi Micha- for selected objects’ layer, this info panel item is really redundant- the currently selected objects’ layer (if only one) is the layer shown on the layer pop up in the status bar. But in general, clicking that info panel will pop up all the available info with the current status, so no need to wait till it cycles around.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

often I like to know how long before I did my last save. I don’t want to click somewhere, I prefer to see it by a quick look. Like you see at my screenshot there is a lot of space. So why should this space be unused and I do additional clicks? My hands would be happy to save some. :slight_smile:

Any chance to see the file size in MB at the top menu? My files are really big and user with kB files don’t need to know the size. :smile:

Micha

hi pascal, micha,

So why should this space be unused and I do additional clicks? My hands would be happy to save some.

thanks for this point micha. i will use the oportunity to bring the discussion back to its original topic:
pascal, any chance to implement the originally described layer features?
especially for long-term users every mouse click and scroll counts and every inspection view should be as brief as possible.
the rhino layer managent looks ok to me, but there ara always some things to improve