Layer tree

I frequently have very complex layer trees, sometimes with 50 to 100 layers in several hierarchies. Although you have chevrons showing which layers have sublayers, it still gets confusing as there’s not much visual differentiation. I would really like to see all layers that have sub-layers have bold titles.

Got that,thanks.

RH-65747 Layer wish: Distinguish parent layers

-Pascal

1 Like

hi @pascal,

Distinguishing between parent layers and single layers would be great.

Related wish: Also seeing empty layers (meaning no objects in that layer) by seeing their name in gray instead of black would be super useful. This is also a standard in many other 3D packages. Wished in other topics many times by others, probably many times just by me :rofl:

G

2 Likes

Hi Gustavo - thanks, I will amend the YT item…

-Pascal

2 Likes

In the meantime, you could run this script to change parent layer names to upper case :slight_smile:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

layers = rs.LayerNames(sort=True)

for layer in layers:
    if rs.LayerChildCount(layer) is not 0:
        rs.RenameLayer(layer, layer.upper())
1 Like

Some sort of indication would be good for sure, grey is already “taken” by reference/worksession layers, which works nice, and “shades of gray” may get confusing.

As for parent layers, agree it is a good practice to use ALL CAPS for parent layers, bold also is taken by Current Layer and I personally would hate to see all parent layers being bold. I think it should be left on user responsibility side to name layers in a clear way to make it distinguishable what’s what.

my 2c.

-j

I DON’T LIKE LAYERS SCREAMING AT ME JAREK.

:slight_smile:

…you are right about the gray. Maybe there’s some other way. Can we add a column for empty layer indication?

G

1 Like

Point taken, just a sample of user-driven distinguishing the Parent layers from the rest. I definitely would find bolding them visually confusing, as we, too, deal with 100s of multi-level nested layers.
Maybe once layer-coloring gets finally implemented it would present another good option to deal with this…

-j

2 Likes