Layer reorganization bug

I’m really surprised by this bug because it’s such a fundamental feature.

Under the business layer, collapse 2 and 3 so you can’t see the sub layers; try to move 2 between 1 and 3. Crashes reliably; does not seem to crash if they are not minimized.

boxes.3dm (2.3 MB)

Hi @chirs

Thanks for reporting this behavior. I am not able to reproduce the crash given the instructions you have provided…I am able to move 2 between 1 and 3 without a crash…

Can you please let us know what version it is crashing in? I was testing on the latest RhinoWIP, on OS X 10.11.6.

Also, as a shortcut, you can send your system information (Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More Info… > Copy to clipboard…) and paste it in here. It might be helpful for us to understand if there is something about your config that is causing the crash.

Let’s get to the bottom of this,
-Dan

Hi dan,

I’ve downloaded the file I uploaded and tested it. Can confirm this is still crashing for me.

I’m using the latest Rhino, updated after the first time this crashed.

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3 WIP (5D48w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11 (Build 15A284)

Hi @chirs-

It would be helpful if we could see the complete contents of Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More Info… > Copy to Clipboard. This might provide more clues…but it might not.

I see you are on OS X 10.11 (15A284). I would recommend updating to the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.6). It is possible you are experiencing a bug that was fixed in a minor release.

-Dan

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3 WIP (5D48w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11 (Build 15A284)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0) 5AFE550D-6361-3897-912D-897C13FF6983

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro10,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Memory: 1536 MB
Screen size: 1280 x 800
Displays: Color LCD (227dpi 2x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-10.8.77
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Upgraded, still crashes.

Thanks for the detailed System Info. Interesting that you have a CUDA kernel extension installed but have the Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU. I doubt this is related, just worth noting.

Also, thank you for taking the time to update OS X.

Hmmm. Let’s make sure we’re both taking the same steps.

Here is what I am doing to (attempt to) reproduce the problem:

1. Launch RhinoWIP (5D48w).
  2. Open the boxes.3dm model you provided above.
  3. In the Layer manager in the Right Sidebar, in the business layer, collapse child-layer 2 by clicking the arrow/chevron.
  4. In the Layer manager in the Right Sidebar, in the business layer, collapse child-layer 3 by clicking the arrow/chevron.
  5. In the Layer manager in the Right Sidebar, in the business layer, click on child-layer 2 so that it is highlighted in blue.
  6. Left-click and hold on child-layer 2 and move it directly above child-layer 3 and release the mouse button.

Expected behavior: child-layer 2 is positioned above child-layer 3.
Actual behavior: child-layer 2 is positioned above child-layer 3.

So, what are we doing differently? It might make sense to use Quicktime Player > File > New Screen Recording to show what you are doing.

-Dan