Layer Panel could be a lot stronger

I don’t know how much work that is, but having a stronger Layer panel would be a great deal. I am talking about an option for greying out an layer and send it to back (like if you lock all the objects on it), or link layers, so that if you move things from one layer, it will be moved from all the others. One very handy thing in general would be to be able to remove certain objects from the OSnap, so they are hidden in that kind of sense. I am sure there are a lot more things to improve.

that would be nice. and in generell colored layers like photoshop it has… :star_struck:

Hi @Severin_Goidinger.

I’m not sure what this means. But if you click the Filter button in the Layers panel you can select what you want to see.

Does this help?

– Dale

Sorry for my bad explanation. I would like to grey out the objects on one specific layer. In the layer panel, you can either hide/show or lock/unlock one layer. There’s nothing inbetween. Many times I would like to have lines as reference. Atm I am selecting all objects on one specific layer and lock them, that greys all the objects out.

To gray out layer objects, just lock the Layer, as you have mentioned. You can also lock selected objects using the Lock command.

What would be in-between?

– Dale

When I am locking a layer,the color doesn’t change at all… I would always need to lock objects individually.

I know that I’m complaining on a high level. All the things that I want are already implemented in Rhino, they should just be easier to reach. The command SnapToLocked for example should be a button for each layer, also the greying out of layers. I made one simple sketch to show what I mean.

Hi @Severin_Goidinger,

I do agree that locking a layer does not gray out it’s objects, like locking objects individually does, is confusing. I’m looking into this.

The SnapToLocked is not a per-layer specific command. Thus I don’t see it why it would need to be controlled by the Layer panel. Perhaps I need more information on your workflow?

– Dale

Hi @Severin_Goidinger,

Turns out you control the color of locked Layer objects by modifying display modes.

Make sure to Apply these settings to layers.

Does this help?

– Dale

1 Like