Layer organisation advice

Hello,
I’m experimenting with geological maps and sections in Rhino. I’ve collated vertical sections and a map into a geo-referenced model. I will draw lines on the sections and the topography mesh, then build surfaces. Is there are standard way to organise layers for visibility? For example, all lines/curves on one layer? Or lines/curves plus vertical section on one layer - this seems a better approach to me, as I’ll want to set the CPlane to the vertical section, make the other objects invisible, and draw curves on the vertical section with the view set to Plan? Can objects be in multiple layers?
Thanks,
Paul.

Hello Paul,

I would put all vertical sections on one layer, the map on another and the curves on yet another one. I then would use clipping planes to show a particular section and the associated lines. Switching the visibility of the map layer on and off would help to keep a view onto the sections when you are drawing your curves onto them. Don’t forget to lock the map and sections layers to prevent inadvertently moving them (which is a good reason to keep those on a separate layer from the curves).

Objects can only be in a single layer, groups can contain objects on different layers, with the ability to toggle the visibility of the individual objects without affecting the whole group. I believe blocks act in a similar way, but I am not sure.

Max.

Thank you, Max.
I hadn’t experimented with the clipping plane - it is very useful. I can move the clipping plane, select the clipping plane, and set the CPlane to the clipping plane (set to object), so I can draw on the clipping plane (which is coincident to a vertical section).
Paul.