Layer drop down in object properties

There’s a problem with the drop down in the object properties panel which is that when you have a group of objects, it doesn’t indicate which layers the grouped items are in.

I imagine it would work better if it behaved as it does for a single object, ie, opens where the selected objects layer is and shows a tick where it is. If all the layers of the selected group cannot be shown ticked at once, then it should show the top most layer so that you know you only have to scroll downwards to see the others.

if you happen to group objects across several layers you can use the following function. select the group go to the lower gear of the layer panel or right click in the layer panel and choose

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-12 um 13.44.54

it will highlight the layers involved.

@pascal @wim do you guys have an idea how i can make that actually a command or an alias? i can not find anything.

edit: also a little bug. using that function it highlights only slightly in grey, for it to become fully highlighted one actually has to first click into the layer panel which one should not i assume.

Hi -

That feature request is on the list as RH-39104.
-wim

1 Like

quite a few requests… i was always wondering in which priority a request gets handled. the more requests for the same issue the better or does the entire list get skimmed through at certain times and logically evaluated?

i mean this is one of those super handy functions which just make every day life with rhino easier and might not be super hard to implement, but what do i know…

but then again i would just have it highlighted automatically and if not unfolding the entire substructure but prehighlighting the top layer for instance which seem to have been a concern here RH-25723 as i saw

@encephalon - here’s a python you can use
HighlightLayers.py (683 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

i had found a script of yours earlier today, it did not work, will try this and will let you know, thanks!

edit: yup it was the same.

@pascal does not work on mac, nothing done no mooh no mahh nuttn.

Hm - yeah, does nothing on mac… I’ll investigate, thanks.

Looks like scriptcontext.HighlightLayers() does not affect the mac layer panel.

-Pascal

Thanks this is helpful. Weird about having to click in the panel first.