Latest rhino 5.4 wip 5E292W issue - CRASH

Thanks. We have a better idea of what is causing these crashes now and are working on a fix. Fingers-crossed.

Thanks Dan
Is there a way to get an older version more stable while youā€™re fixing the new one. I really need to work with GH.
Cheers

We hope we have made a fix for this crash in the latest RhinoWIP (5E326w). Please give it a try. Since we were unable to reproduce the crash on our end, weā€™re not sure that weā€™ve fixed it.

Hi Dan, thanks for the update, sorry to report the crash is persisting in the new wip for me post updated install.

Thank you for checking. Can you please run ExportPreferences and send along your preference file?

PS: Please relaunch and submit crash dumpsā€¦they still provide useful information to us. Thanks!

Sure thing, crash dump sent through.
With the run ExportPreferences, I assume I need to do that in the line dialogue? This crash doesnā€™t let me get past the load screen, so no opportunity to do so.

Ah yes of course @ecnal_van_maanen ā€¦you canā€™t launch to export the preferences. No matterā€¦thereā€™s a workaround:

1. In Finder, navigate to Go > Go to Folderā€¦
  2. Enter ~/Library/Preferences and hit Go
  3. Find the file titled com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist and select it.
  4. Hold down the alt/option and drag it to your Desktop to copy it there.
  5. Upload that file here in a reply.

@dswindle, @GAG, @antoine ā€¦we still cannot reproduce this crash on our end. It may be useful to have your preferences as well to see if we can reproduce this crash.

Sure thing. The forum doesnā€™t allow .plist files to be uploaded, so Iā€™ve renamed the extension .3dm, you should be able to change to .plist once donwloaded I assume.com.mcneel.rhinoceros.3dm (356.6 KB)

Whoops. Thanks. I just diddled a setting in Discourseā€¦hopefully now .plist is a valid upload.

Unfortunately, Iā€™m still unable to reproduce the crash with your preferences @ecnal_van_maanen :confused: It was worth a try.

Boooo! And thanks for trying. Out of curiosity, do you think this is a small sample of wip osx users affected, is there enough penetration of the install to gauge?

It is difficult to tell. I suspect this is a smaller percentage of the RhinoWIP (5E292w). In the past two weeks, there have been ~5000 launches of RhinoWIP 5E292wā€¦only a small number have submitted crash reports and a smaller group still (thank you!) have engaged us here. We need to fix this, regardless. Itā€™s a bit of a show-stopper.

PS: We thought we knew where the regression wasā€¦but now weā€™re not so sure.

Cool, thanks- good to know.

Well, as far as I can remember- no changes to my system around the time of the breakage.

Iā€™ve got a few colleagues running a previous wip in the office (same system specs), Iā€™ll get them to have a go at the latest wip and see if they can replicate also.

EDIT: Interesting, looks like itā€™s just me! No other crashed from 2 installs on other machines. Bizarre.

Could please submit new crash reports when running 5E326w? We would like to see if the crash report has any new information in it. Thanks.

@ecnal_van_maanen I am assuming that you have updated to 10.12.6. There definitely were problems with the original release of 10.12 that Apple fixed in later updates. Could you post your current Rhino information, along the the Rhino information of your colleaguesā€™ computers that do work.

I was running 10.12.1, but just updated to 10.12.6 and same issue. Crash dump sent to mcneel, system specs here:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.4 WIP (5E326w)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/RhinoWIP.app
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
WIP expiration: 13 January 2018
Language: en-AU (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.logitech.manager.kernel.driver (6.70.1) BF95D805-77E8-37EC-B75E-88BBCC75B710

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac17,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 32 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
Memory: 4096 MB
Screen size: 2880 x 1620
Displays: iMac (244dpi 2x)

USB devices
PixArt: USB Optical Mouse
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Broadcom Corp.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Bluetooth devices
Unknown:

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.51.8
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Colleague non crashing:

Software information Software versions Rhinoceros version: 5.4 WIP (5E326w) Rhinoceros path: /Applications/RhinoWIP.app IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131 WIP expiration: 13 January 2018 Language: en-AU (MacOS default) macOS version: Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29) Plug-ins None Third party kernel extensions None Hardware information Computer hardware Hardware model: iMac17,1 Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz Memory: 8 GB Architecture: Intel 64 bit Video hardware Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB Memory: 4096 MB Screen size: 2560 x 1440 Displays: iMac (217dpi 2x) USB devices TOSHIBA: TransMemory Broadcom Corp.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard Microsoft : Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Apple Inc.: iPhone Bluetooth devices None OpenGL information OpenGL software OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.51.8 Render version: 2.1 Shading language: 1.20 Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384 Z-buffer depth: 24 bits Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384 Implementation settings Use texture compression: No Appearance settings Antialiasing: 4x Mip map filtering: None Anisotropic filtering: None

EDIT: looks like they have the i5 processor, so not same system actually.

Having the same problem. Canā€™t open files in RhinoWIP although I was working on them normally in Rhino. Any fix for this? Any links where I can download a previous RhinoWIP version that works?

com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist (496.1 KB)

just updated to 5E326w, still crashing on boot.