LandsDesign and IFC export in future?

Hi, will Lands support IFC import and export in the future? It becomes more and more important to support BIM when working with landscape architecture too.

Thnx

1 Like

Hi @Holo we might consider this option in future versions of Lands Design, but at the moment we are providing all IFC features and development on #plug-ins:visualarq

1 Like

Hi, do you say that VisualARQ supports landscape IFC data? And does it have the tools Lands have?

What kind of landscape IFC data do you need?

Frankly I am not so sure yet as we have just started working on projects that need it. I’ll see what kind of information I can find in English though.

Does the IFC functionality reside in the background plugin that runs both lands and visualarq?

To both @fsalla & @Holo
I know of some landscape architects who ‘misuse’ other BIM software for hardecape design to take advantage of the data storage functionality: I have a link/podcast somewhere, I’ll track it down and post it. Might allow you to use visualarq based on current functionality; then determine the ‘gaps’ that lands should need to bridge (if any).

Found it: bimthoughts from 31st Oct 2017

It’s talking about Revit: but you’ll be able to emulate most of the processes using Visualarq if memory serves. It will just be about establishing a workflow to move the VA slab landscape elements into the right IFC category on export…

Here is a tree indicating the most essential data, it’s from a Norwegian cooperation on the topic:
http://bimforlandskap.no/wp1/objekthierarki/objekthierarki_eng.html

Yes, this part is shared by both plugins, but since Lands Design is still a free Beta, and VisualARQ is a commercial software, IFC functionality is only enabled when VisualARQ is running. You can only use it on Lands if you have VisualARQ. This requirement will be removed when Lands is commercial.

Suits me; since I own VA. :slight_smile:

(Would buy Lands based on current functionality… just sayin)

1 Like

I don’t have VA but would consider acquiring LandsDesign if it had an ifc export function.
I don’t know how to export from LandsDesign to ifc in rhino, is it possible ?

Hi @Borix we are planning to implement IFC import&export features in future Lands Design versions. I’ll let you know when we release that version.

Can I export a terrain if I install VA trial?
Will this create an fully functional ifc object ?

@Borix, if you have VisualARQ you can export the geometry of a Lands terrain to IFC. But you need to explode it first, so it will turn into a mesh. (When Lands supports IFC Export it won’t be necessary to explode the terrain).
With VisualARQ you can turn that mesh into an informed object. Assign custom data to it, and finally export it to IFC. However, it’s not possible to export it as ifcSite yet. This is something also planned for future VisualARQ versions.

Hi! I update this topic to mention that since Lands Design 5.6, it is possible to import and export IFC files.

2 Likes