Lands Design not working with V-Ray 3.60

In Rhino 5.14 and V-Ray 3.60 (64-bit), Lands Design plants render in black and white. The rendering works normally if I downgrade V-Ray to 3.40.

Are Lands Design materials not compatible with V-Ray 3.60 somehow?

Further information:

When a transparency map is present in a Lands Design material, it looks like VRay takes from it not only the opacity, but also the color, causing the material rendering in White.

If a transparency map is not present, it looks like VRay ignores the alpha compenent of the Color map. So, there is no way to get the Lands plants rendered properly.

Hi Johanna,
yes, you are right, there is a bug in VRay 3.6. This version does not read properly the rhino materials transparency. Its behavior is exactly as you have described it.

We have already reported the error to Chaos Group and they have already fixed it. Next version should include the fix.

1 Like

Awesome, waiting for the new version of V-Ray then!

Thank you for your amazing work on the plugin which is a joy to use.

Will it be possible to export Lands Design elements as .VRSCENE files?

Will it be possible to export Lands Design objects as Vray Proxy objects.

It should not be any difference in respect to other Rhino objects.
What kind of elements do you want to export? Do you plan to use the resulting proxies in Lands Design (for example as plant representations)?

thinking that Vray now supports Unreal Engine wondering if you could create a scene in Rhino using Lands Landscaping elements and exporting a .vrscene file to be imported to Unreal: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYUNREAL/Intro+Importing+.vrscene+QuickStart

Yes, that should work.
You can export the Rhino drawing to a .vrscene directly, but for better performance I recommend you to use the _laDeploy command in Lands to get a new Rhino drawing composed only of Rhino primitive objects. This command will also discard hidden objects, optimize block usage, etc.

So, the ideal steps for me would be:

• Show the Lands objects in 3D using the 3D button in the Lands Edit Panel

• Create a new .3dm file for delivery using the _laDeploy command

• Open this new .3dm file in Rhino (note that this file doesn’t contain any Lands information, so that you should keep the original .3dm file to continue working on it)

• Export to .vrscene using VRay

This is how I would do it, but as I said, you can export directly the Lands Project without all these extra steps.

1 Like