Lag in old file loading and render tab

Hi,
Rhino is having problems loading an older file I’m working on. I think it’s the environment maps but I purged those and still the lag in these two areas.
Loading, the file file is 25 meg now but was 9 meg and takes at least 60 seconds to load where rhino viewports go black for that time period.
When I go to rendering tab Rhino stalls for 60 seconds or more then kicks in. After that Rhino works fine. I got rid of all old materials and purged the file but I get this every time I load it. Maybe it’s the rhino sky that’s doing it.
Just giving a heads up.
RM

Hi,
I think I found the problem or at least it seems to do with environment mapping in both the environment tab or any environment settings in the rendering tab.

In this file if I activate this texture as an environment or choose it in any of the rendering options like use custom environment for skylighting or reflections causes a huge lag when opening the file. If I select another environment map like Rhino studio the lag when opening the file is gone. But if I go to render tab and try to set use custom environment for skylighting Rhino stalls for a minute or more even if I don’t have this environment active just having it in the list causes a stall. Now if I delete it completely save the file and reload it Rhino works as usual.
RM

that’s not a standard file that ships with Rhino right? Can you send me the texture?

Hi @Gijs

Sorry it’s impossible to upload this file here. I found it’s a chaos file from when I was using Vray for 3dsmax.

File name is “05-01_Sun_A.hdr” Ships with that standard Vray indoor tutorial from I think 2015 perhaps you have the map. It’s 332 meg in size so quite large. I never had a problem with it in Max but maybe it’s not tailored to work in Rhino I can upload it to McNeel server if you wish.

Thanks for your help I currently am not using this map due to this glitch but it’s a nice one and well worth using if possible perhaps it’s too big for Rhino?
RM

I looked but no, I don’t have it. You can upload the file here
pls @mention me here when it’s done, thanks

Hi @Gijs
I’m getting an access denied error when I try to upload.
Perhaps I need your name in the name field but I don’t know your Mcneel address if that’s the problem.
RM

AccessDenied Access Denied Q5YD4B7E6YD7KXKT yhPwlsPV4kEgyD6KlYZznBnbcJnwhG7FkvIa1HBLwfHL5Idld6ZvKCucBFsQbBbfIBWs3xmycuQ=

Hi Roland, I see the issue as well when I try that. I’m afraid this needs to wait until after the weekend. Alternatively you can send the file to me (gijs at mcneel dot com) via wetransfer.

Hi @Gijs
I’ll wait let me know when McNeel is back up and running.
Thanks for the heads up.
RM

Hi Roland, Brian has fixed the error yesterday, so all should be good now.

Hi @Gijs
Thanks I’ll send it latter today.
RM

Hi Roland, I just downloaded the file you sent, thanks.
Indeed having this file in the environment makes it that Rhino needs a long time to open.

RH-74201 Rhino takes a long time to open when a large HDR image is used in the environment

Hi @Gijs
Thank you so much for taking a look and for logging the issue.
Much obliged for your help.
RM