Kind of hate the whole Gravatar Avatar thing

I am very glad that Gravatar is available and is the default.

1 Like

also vote to not use Gravatar! Could it not be possible to choose?

It will be possible to choose according to what they said. No time frame has been specified however.
–Mitch

You guys might want to check this PR out :wink:

Great! Looks like this got merged so we’ll see the feature the next time discourse rolls a version number (that is the only time we currently update our server.)

Thanks, I’m sure many of our users will appreciate this.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the non-gravatar local avatar option, as per GitHub discussion.

Custom avatars should now be available if you edit your personal preferences.

3 Likes

@ian @perolalars let us know if custom avatars is working to your liking now.

Hi
And thanks a lot for the option!
I am very happy now :smiley:

Regards
Per

1 Like

nice :bird:

1 Like

I don’t see that option? There is no indication anywhere in Discourse preferences on how to set a profile image, Gravatar or otherwise. I stumbled across a reference to Gravatar by accident ( Welcome to McNeel Forums ) and am horrified by the idea that I must create a WordPress account to create one? I can see that this is a very old complaint - no action yet?
https://discourse.mcneel.com/search?q=gravatar

I’m far more concerned about the spam potential of creating a Gravatar account than I am about the insignificant programming burden of supporting profile/avatar images specific to this forum.

I have used Gravatar (as a user) since it came into existence. I have not encountered spam because of it.

In your accounts.rhino3d.com account you can select to upload an icon from your device.

Thank you very much. That option is completely hidden for users who are only looking at the Discourse forums.
There will be many more (like me) moving over from the old Ning forum who are unlikely to find it.

P.S. I added a profile image to my accounts.rhino3d.com but don’t see it on my Discourse forum replies?

I think you need to relogin to discourse for the change to take effect.

Apparently one must log out of Discourse and log back in again to see avatar changes made in accounts.rhino3d.com ? I’ll try that next but wonder if anyone else sees my avatar change without doing the same thing? I see this is an old issue with many forum threads and posts on the subject. The fact that updating a profile photo is this difficult and obscure is quite frankly ridiculous!

Tried that, it doesn’t work. Furthermore, using a different browser that has never logged in to rhino3d.com or the Discourse forum, I still see the default avatar icon on my posts while others show images - WAIT! Just looked again now and the change has taken effect, many minutes after making the change and logging off/on again. Crazy!

Such is the world of web apps. I try hard to never ever have to do that again…

I’ve written quite a few web apps and used web forums for years and I have NEVER seen anything so obscure and ridiculous as the procedure here for setting a profile/avatar image. Even now, I see my new image on my posts but not at the upper right of the page?

How about adding some instructions on the discourse.mcneel.com/u/username/preferences/account page? I’m biting my tongue from commenting further…

A post was split to a new topic: Ruler in Rhino

Hallo, der Meinung bin ich auch! Aber ich werde mal noch weiter lesen um herauszufinden was es damit auf sich hat.