Keyboard shortcuts not recognised in Grasshopper

Thanks @Japhy

Rhino 7 SR21 2022-7-27 (Rhino 7, 7.21.22208.13001, Git hash:master @ c31aea87137a5d0de449338a7ef6856f49dd4797)
License type: Evaluation, build 2022-07-27
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-09-17

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2200 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 6-3-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.02
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-3-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3102
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I note that it says “evaluation”, but I have a license as of 19/8/22.

Thanks, I was really expecting this to be from a plugin that doesn’t ship with Rhino, but you have none.

Lets get your nvidia driver updated and then look at the scaling/Alignment on your monitors.

Sweet as, hopefully these screenshots are sufficient.

I did a restart after driver update, opened RH on left screen then GH on right screen, was able to copy and paste, moved GH on to the left screen and lost ability to use keyboard shortcut entry again.

I downloaded latest driver from Nvidia website and installed.

Hi Josh -

Rhino doesn’t automatically change to a different license, so make sure to make the switch well before September 17. It doesn’t look like you’ve added your new license to your Cloud Zoo. If you need help with licensing, please contact sales@mcneel.com.
-wim

1 Like

This is atypical and we need to figure out if its something about the monitors setup.

Can you try going to just one monitor being used and see if that changes any of the behavior you are seeing? Thanks.

This is a bit of an odd connection, but I have also been having trouble with my license (going from evaluation to commercial).
I was able to resolve it earlier today, since then I haven’t had any issue with the keyboard commands.
It’s a bit early to know for sure, but at the moment it looks like problem may be resolved.
Will post again if/when problem resurfaces.

1 Like

Does this help:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/keystrokes-in-gh-end-up-in-rhino-command-line/40272/15?u=ftzuk

Was an issue for a long time but haven’t noticed it recently.

So had a stint where was working fine after resolving the license issue, however this morning the issue has resurfaced. Tried the same troubleshooting as before, restarting closing etc.

If it’s of any use, here is another quick screen recording.
In this video, I have included the on-screen keyboard which hopefully shows the issue clearer.
Have also shown how the numeric entry is impacted as well.

Its hard to see what components you have on the canvas, it looks like you have the Archicad still installed. Can you remove that plugin and repeat the issue?

Hi Japhy,

Everyone I know IRL who is also using Grasshopper is familiar to this bug (AEC people).

I’ve had this bug for 7 years now. Occasionally rhino grabs all the hotkeys from grasshopper, so i can’t write in panels, and I cant ctrl+c ctrl-v etc.

Haven’t had it for a while and it came back today.

Search for new components-function when double clicking works fine though.

Restarting Rhino is not a good bugfix. If you have no clue what’s causing i wouldn’t mind having a “quickfix” in form of a command to run that resets this. It’s not sufficient to close grasshopper and run ReloadGrasshopperAssemblies.

However occasionally the bug resets itself without restarting Rhino but i don’t have a full overview of when and how.

Would really like if you guys could prioritize fixing it.

1 Like

That is not a sure fix.

I experience the issue sometimes as well when I open a secondary rhino, albeit version 5 rhino after opening v7.

The only solution I found is to shutdown v7/gh and reload.

FWIW, toggling to the desktop (Windows Key + D) a couple of times usually works for me. Not a fix, but better than restarting :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

I am having the same problem. Every time I have to close and re-open Rhino, then it works for a while until I have to repeat. Has anyone found a way to fix it?

Regards,
Franco

It’s frustrating that we’re approaching V8 of Rhino and still have this issue.

Thank you! I will try as soon as it happens again. :-/
Maybe they will fix it for Rhino V8

Hi guys

If it’s of any use, I’m still using Rhino 7, but have upgraded to Archicad 27.
I no longer experience the issue shown above.

1 Like

I am so surprised that McNeel support wasn’t aware of this issue. I have it for years now too

1 Like

My only fix for this issue is the Window key + D or moving GH and Rhino windows to a different screen. Does anyone know how to effectively solve this issue in 2024?

1 Like