Kangaroo components unrecognized in Grasshopper

Hi everyone. I’ve been searching for answers about this problem, since I assume it’s fairly common, but I haven’t had much luck.

Basically, I have the latest Kangaroo (Kangaroo2) and Grasshopper (0.9.0076) and I use Rhino 5. I seem to always get an error message whenever I open a kangaroo file saying that there is an unrecognized object. If I try to open the file, the object is simply deleted and I can’t try to replace it. The files were made in an older version of Kangaroo and I don’t understand why a more recent version wouldn’t be able to open them. I’ve attached a screenshot of one of the errors I received.

I’m very new in Grasshopper and would like to know how to get around this, since I’m trying to use some files that were created in older versions of Kangaroo.

Thank you!!

Screenshot (39)|690x388

Hi.
You can’t replace components from old version Kangaroo with the latest K2.
You should install the old version(probably 0.099) along with K2 side by side…
And Kangaroo 2.0 has been already shipped on GH R6…

Hi, thank you for your reply. I ended up downloading version 0.099 and got a different error message when I booted Grasshopper, but the file opened up alright. I thought Kangaroo and Kangaroo2 were the same, just different versions, but apparently not…

Thank you for the help!

Backward compatibility doesn’t seem to be a priority in the Grasshopper world. One of the nuttiest examples is the humble Multiply component, which supports more than two inputs in the latest version. So now any code written in GH1 that uses Multiply doesn’t work in Grasshopper 0.9.0076! And unless you have a screen shot of how it was wired, it can’t easily be fixed because there is no trace of the unsupported component when the file opens. :frowning: