Junction of 3 Tunnels

Hey there!

I have several tunnel similar forms and want to combine them at their junctions. (what I have:

)
( what I want:
)

The second picture was created with the multipipe tool and after converted into meshes. However that’s not the solution I am looking for! I do not want to use Subd/mesh/any berp or similar since I lose a lot of control over the grid that I want. My prefered solution is with only the use of the curves. I was wondering if there would be any possibility on doing that with only using the curves (the geometry I have) WITHOUT turning it into Meshes or similar.
Junction_of_3_tunnels.gh (58.3 KB)

Thank you for any help in advance. :blush:

1 Like

Curves alone without surfaces? I don’t think so. I lofted the tunnel section curves and made solids of them. Finally got something, though ended up not using the yellow group. Weird with polysurfaces.

Junction_of_3_tunnels_2023Mar15a.gh (77.6 KB)

1 Like

Previous discussion:

2 Likes

What is the expected benefit?

I feel like a fool for replying. @Matteo.309 is tunnel crazy!

Other related threads:

1 Like

My shape is out of half polygons and I want to be able to control how many edges those half polygons have or how close those polygons are to eachother at any time. With your method (which was by the way great and thank you a lot for your help) I lost a lot of control over the “grid” that is created from the mesh

for example here the grid also changes a bit on how wide the polygons are from eachother and I have no control over that, which I need.

1 Like

Yeah maybe a bit. It’s for a school project and I’m a bit overwhelmed with some functions in grashopper and especially to learn it in such short time

Thank you a lot! I will try to create my grid with the help of the surfaces you created. What would you think would be the best way to get the half polygons back in and so create the grid together with the edges from the surfaces?

They are still there, I used them to make the lofts. I was about to ask how you intend to make the curves into surfaces? If you can’t do this yourself, what’s the point? To fool your teacher?

1 Like

Is @Vithursan_Manoharan in the same class?

Meshes have the benefit of keeping lines attached to each other… You might also be able to optimize edge lengths but really most of that kind of stuff is done with meshes.

1 Like

Really, I didnt see them my bad, I’m sorry. And no it’s not to feel my teacher we are allowed to take help since its hard to learn the program in such short amount of time and with every time I get help from somebody I try my best to understand it, learn from it keep working with it and so that in future I do not have to ask for that again and can figure it out myself. I hope that you will not see me that much with questions anymore since I hopefully learn more and more and will be able to resolve more on my own. With my capabilities now I can also spend a whole day trying to get a solution and of course learning more about grasshopper while doing that but not getting the desired result. Only then I try to get help from someone else.

Yes he is indeed. And thank you again, your version helped me a lot to learn and also for another task!

1 Like

This version makes the half polygons visible and removes segments whose mid-points are not on a brep surface due to the interactions. Simplified the code too.

Junction_of_3_tunnels_2023Mar15b.gh (76.2 KB)

3 Likes

Perfect! my approach for this was much more complicated and so also worse, this will help a lot also to keep a better overview! thank you another time mister Joseph Oster!