IT hesitations to move to High Sierra

@marlin @dan

Ut oh…there are some organizations, especially those with large numbers of seats in the EDU space, looking to extend 10.12.x lifecycle longer than typically deployed, based on the loss (temporarily??) of traditional imaging methods. Not a lot of love for current 10.13.x MDM solutions for mass computer lab deployments.

I think I follow you here. (Though I’m not sure what Mobile Device Management solutions do for computer lab deployments. I’m probably not up on my acronyms.) You are probably referring to the new APFS in High Sierra, right? Is that why they are considering staying at Sierra?

Can you provide some web links to articles that point out the issues with 10.13 so we can bring up the issue in a meeting?

Certainly @marlin @dan

Death (per Apple) of monolithic imaging - a mainstay in certain spaces. Jury still out longer term. Lots of push back.

APFS is but part of pinch point. Little, if any impact on the average user, and perhaps some corporate users as well. EDU, different story.

https://scriptingosx.com/2017/12/

Marlin, I have questions.
Why would V6 need 10.13?
Why is it not possible to make V6 running on 10.0?

I only want to understand.

MDM based solutions appear to be what Apple has/will endorse for OS X mass deployments going forward.

Thank you for the links. For the Mac V6 WIP versions, we will stay with macOS 10.13 as the minimum version. WIP versions expire in 40 days, so they are unsuitable for lab use. As we get closer to a commercial release of Mac V6, we will reexamine this decision.

Currently Mac V5 supports macOS 10.8 through 10.13, six(!) different versions of macOS. This holds us back in what we are able to implement, and certainly adds to our testing and support load.

Each version of macOS adds new features and new incompatibilities with previous versions of macOS. Three years ago, we dropped support for 10.7 and earlier, as described here, so we could use features that were added starting with macOS 10.8.

The viewport drawing in Rhino V6 has been rewritten and upgraded to use modern OpenGL. Mac V6 will use the same drawing code, and this will require relatively modern GPUs and newer versions of OpenGL. If a Mac cannot run macOS 10.13, then it won’t be capable of running the new drawing code in Rhino V6.

Note: macOS 10.0 came out in 2001, 17 years ago, about the same time as Windows ME, and was at least as buggy. Also, macOS 10.0 was only for the PowerPC. Intel Macs were way in the future back then. There are no Macs these days that can even run 10.0.

Thanks, Marlin. Agreed on WIP, and 10.13 logical. Hopefully commercial release of V6 is able to start at 10.12.x to cover more bases.

Logged a reminder in RH-45120.

1 Like

Can you tell more about the required OpenGL version? Because there are some Macs with older versions (OpenGL 3.3 / OpenCL 1.0) which are supported by High SIerra.

We actually want to target OpenGL 4.0 or higher if at all possible. The GPU tessellation feature that can dramatically improve display performance for all “wires” drawn uses a feature of OpenGL that initially showed up in 4.0.

We also found OpenGL display driver bugs in some of the older versions of the Mac operating system that don’t appear to exist in 10.13 (or at least we haven’t run into them yet.)

1 Like

Hi @ec2638-

After about a year, I’m wondering if - from your perspective - things have budged with regard to this issue. Have those organizations with a large number of EDU seats moved to 10.13 or better?

-Dan