Issues with developable surface

Hi,

I am currently analyzing this shell in order to make it a pavilion-like structure from bamboo. But I face the following issues:

1. When displaying model view I only see the deformation (which is bananas btw for only -1), but not the supports, loads, elements, etc. And the same happens if try shell view for instance.

2. When triangulating the surface for FEA analysis an overlap of lines around the center is created. Could someone recommend another method for creating clean diagrids in developable ruled surfaces? (or maybe on how to make an optimized grid in a designated surface)

The file is attached and help will be much appreciated.
Bests,
L

Helicoid, pabellon.gh (51.6 KB)

Hi @lidiasomarriba,
in the definition the input of some model data was given as a data-tree. This caused multiple incomplete models to be created. I flattened the input - see Helicoid, pabellon_cp.gh (52.3 KB).
The characteristic size of the model is 1500m - is this on purpose? Karamba3D interprets all geometric input to be given in meter (of feet in case of imperial units) irrespective of the units set in Rhino.
In case the number range of a slider is not appropriate you can double-click on the knob of the slider to edit it - like e.g. for the slider which scales the displacements in the ModelView-component.
–Clemens

Hi Clemens,

Thank you!, yeah, I have tried to change the range to 400 but when I plug in the panel it still shows 1500 (even if I recompute it). Another question, why supports, loads and so on do not display?Helicoid, pabellon2.gh (47.3 KB)

Bests,
L.

Hi @lidiasomarriba,
in order to see the load and the supports enable ‘Draw shaded preview geometry’ in Grasshopper (one of the Buttons on the top right).
Regarding the size: you can e.g. rescale it: Helicoid, pabellon2_cp.gh (52.3 KB)
–Clemens

Hi,
Thanks Clemens!
L.

Hi (again),

So I added wind load, but I have the same issue as in gravity before when running 2nd order analysis. The next message pops out:

-The structural system buckles under the given loads in 364 modes. Reduce the compressive normal forces. Displacement increments did not converge: The Euclidean norm of the difference of the nodal displacements for the last two iterations was 1.4463633712899[m]. The target tolerance is 1E-07[m].

What was done to correct the gravity load in the first place?

And also, there is a doubt when retrieving information. I am not very experienced at C#, but I was looking to retrieving average, maximum and minimum from the beam resultant forces.

P.S. I noticed the scaling and it did solve the issue.

L.

Hi @lidiasomarriba,
the problem in the previous definition was that the model was not scaled correctly. Karamba3D assumes all geometry to be in meters.
Did you do a buckling analysis to see how your structure fails?
–Clemens

Hi Clemens,

Yes, I did buckling analysis and I am trying to optimize the structure. Thanks for the help and sorry for asking so many questions.

• L.

Hi @lidiasomarriba,
does the problem still persist?
If yes, can you upload a version of your definition which is reduced to the minimum and still has the buckling problem?
–Clemens

Hi Clemens,

Not anymore, I altered the cross sections and now it seems to function. Here is the definition just in case.
Lo que el viento se llevo.gh (61.4 KB)

L.