Issue with rebuilding a shape using loft

Hello,

I’ve been trying to rebuild a trimmed shape to use with isotrim. I tried using a linear array of planes to cut the shape into slices than use loft to rebuild the surface however the resulting loft is very deformed. I tried changing the loft options and the number of cutting planes but its no use. Is there any possible way of making the loft work?
rebuilding shape issue.gh (34.5 KB)

Thanks,
Omar

What you are trying does simply not work! A loft only works, if your curves are equal (or almost equal) in its properties. You also shouldn’t do this to your clean geometry? What is the purpose?

1 Like

the original lofted shape I have is a trimmed Brep therefore when I do isotrim it reveals al the old boolean commands I used such as solid difference. therefore I am trying to find a way to rebuild my shape on grasshopper so that I can use isotrim. Is there any way to do that?

Don’t use isotrim. This is actually a really bad practise. I guess you like to panel the surface. So the why was rather refering to why using isotrim:

Depending on what you like to do, there are dozens of other ways of creating panels. But you shouldn’t worse your initial surface, and if you do, you have to dismiss it at a later stage and go back to initial one…

1 Like

Oh I see what you mean. In that case what can I use to panel the surface?

This really depends on the pattern and how you like to apply the pattern.
Whats simple and often works:
Copy your surface and untrim. Create 2 bounding curves in 2d in front. You ideally take the longer side of your surface, because this often has the greater change.
You divide the curve to create points in between them, then you connect a pair of them with lines.
Project the lines on your untrimmed surface and subdivide these projected curves again. Et voila, there is your Grid. You are now able to modify the borders and you have an almost equal spacing.
Work on your cells, and after you are done, truncate everything at the border of your trimmed surface. If required build some sort of frame.
You can also do this with an 2d surface in front, use isotrim and project the isocurves on your untrimmed shape. There are dozens if not hundreds of variations. But you should never ever rebuild your reference surface if there is no good reason for it!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll try that out for sure.