Issue with materials receiving spotlight lighting

Hi. I have an issue I can’t quite solve despite having spent hours trying to find a compatible source of information.

For the background: I am using a layout printout with the displaymode set to Rendered, and I have meddled with the settings to improve display of the shadows. This has worked fine with Rhino 7.

I am trying to create a simple image with spotlights throwing a soft light on the wall but my black wall is acting bananas. The spotlights are identical on brown and black walls, and so are the material features - only the color is different. Both are custom materials with one color picked from the slider, and 0% reflectivity, transparency and gloss.

Why does my lighting look like this?

I assume this is with Raytraced / Rhino Render? If so can you share the file with me for further investigation? If you don’t want to share here on the forum you can use our file uploader: Rhino - Upload to Support - my mcneel work address is prefilled. I’ll receive a notification when the upload has completed successfully.

Btw, in Rhino 8 it is currently better to convert your Rhino Custom materials to Rhino Physically Based since the custom material is broken in some aspects (I am working on fixing what I can there). The Physically Based material is better in every way, though.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. I will look into the other material types, but after a quick toggle it didnt seem to fix the lighting looking different. All I want to do is edit the spotlight on the right to look more like the ones on the left.

I use the Rendered-display mode in the layout viewport, but im not actually rendering the image. I just print it out from the layout as a jpg. Much quicker and sufficient for my workflow.

If this is a Rendered mode then lets ask @DavidEranen to look at this, since he’s involved in the Rendered mode.

btw I fixed the upload link - I put it in there broken.

I uploaded the model!

Have you tried turning off the Gamma in the render settings? I often find this causes more problems with image banding. It will mean you may have to adjust you global lighting, but it may smooth your graduation on the wall.

1 Like

Thank you, Giving out a different Gamma-value worked perfectly!

2 Likes

This is indeed due to gamma. The soft light on the very dark wall results in a very subtle gradient, and the gamma causes banding.

1 Like