Is Twist True?

Hey guys, my question today is, is the Twist command True?
In other words, if I twist something like a flatbar, will it twist true to real life?
Will it deform like it would in real life?
Reason I ask is b/c I can’t do Twist in Inventor, and it works real quick and easy in Rhino.
But I’m wondering which software makes geometry that is more true to reality?
Thanx…Chris

I do not know what the algorithm is but in Rhino is is not based on any specific material properties like say mild steel, aluminum, or rubber.

The command line switches will affect the final shape.
Details are in the Help file article for Twist.

Thanx John.
Just finished reading it.
Makes sense.

If I take a square bar and twist it 180º uniformly along it’s centerline, the resulting shape will more surface area than the original, but the volume will be close to the original.

If Infinite is set to Yes, then there will be no curve translation from the ends into the full twist. If set to No, the edges will “accelerate” from perpendicular into the twist.

in simplified reality it would depend on two parameters (materialwise): Modulus of elasticity and poisson ratio…. in case of linearly elastic material…. just adding my side note

1 Like

Major factors in how an actual object would twist are the end conditions while being twisted.

1 Like

And if you are twisting it at red heat, the heat distribution along the twist region. If blacksmithing a long twist, you go as far as you can until the metal cools too much, you apply more heat and continue the twist. The challenge in this is to get a consistent twist along the length: it’s perhaps surprising just how consistent a good smith can make it.

2 Likes

Thanx everyone.
I forgot to activate my brain with this question before posting.
Materials science needs to be considered, of course!
Cheers…