Is there any way to specify the real-world scale of a material?

(Instead of repeats)

Basically, I want to be able set my material: 1 pixel = 1mm.
Then, I want to be able to resize an object, keeping the texture pixel-per-milimeter without resetting doing anything with the mapping.

For buildings, and likely any repeating material, the repeat mapping is a nightmare, and a waste of time.

1 Like

Hello - I suppose setting normal Planar mapping widgets to be the ā€˜sizeā€™ of the image (mm per pixel) would do what you want.
-Pascal

1 Like

Can we resize the object without the texture becoming stretched?

The core problems is: I want the size to be associated with the materialā€“not the mapping.
Woodgrain is always one size.
Floor tiles are always one size.
Clapboard are always one size.
Grass is always one size.

Hello - setting the texture to use WCS rather than a mapping channel will get you sizing rather than repeats as the setting in the texture. The Rhino architectural materials are set up this way.

-Pascal

That does seem to set the scale to world dimensions, and it promising because I can resize walls without re-texturing, and I thank you for replying.

What would be the best method/mapping to set offset on individual objects?
Such as lining up floor tiles in various rooms?

ā€œRhino architectural materials?ā€ You mean those materials included?

Your search for ā€œarchitectural materialsā€ returned 1 result(s).

X3D (.x3dv) file format export.
fileio/x3d_x3dv_export.htm

@Brenda
%APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Localization\en-US\Render Content\

Thank you Fred.

I am interested in time-efficient techniques.

What would be the best method/mapping to set offset on individual objects?
Such as lining up floor tiles in various rooms?

Hello - if the texture uses WCS then things should line up automatically:

-Pascal

Oh, it slides off, not being attached at either end.

Thereā€™s a problem with that, such as a tiled floor, with a small threshold (separator) between rooms.
This is why Iā€™ve done the least texturing I can get away with.

There still arenā€™t solutions as that could do what the 20-year old game editor GTKRadiant could do, as far as automatic fit n-copies onto a surface, as well as automatic uv n-copies onto a nurbed surface. These are powerful tools. I suspect that they havnā€™t been added because people havenā€™t tried them. Though, with that stated the ordinary non-nurb texturing on planar surfaces is very rudimentary, and sophisticated programming techniques were needed to recalculate the new texture texture position after translations, apparently locking the texture on the surface from the userā€™s take on things. The automatic uv n-copy on a Nurb was way powerful. If you have seen cables, pipes, and arches in later Doom and Quake games, these carved and meandering Nurbs were textured properly in a few seconds eachā€“without unwrapping.

The decals and unwrap are great in Rhino, though, exceptional for a CAD/Design program.

Thank you for the reply.

1 Like