Is there any way to avoid Rhino asking me to save a blank project after I click on a recent project to open?

So when I click on the Rhino icon, I see the start menu which shows me my recent projects. Its much quicker to find it in this ‘recents’ menu as opposed to searching through my folders. The issue is that it takes a few seconds to spot the correct file and in that time, a blank Rhino page opens. The menu stays open as long as my cursor is hovering over it, but in that time a blank page still opens behind. If I do click on a recent project, it will ask me to save the newly opened blank page, and I click cancel. But when I click cancel, it closes it and then just doesn’t open the recent project I tried to click on.

Can you implement some code where it won’t ask you to save a blank project where you didn’t paste or implement some command or even orbit around the viewport?

First world problems…

4 Likes

Which version and release are you using? My recollection is this behavior was previously discussed and a YT item was added. It looks like it was fixed because I’m not seeing it in Version 7 (7.2.20343.11011, 12/8/2020)

I have the same problem very annoying.
My version is Version 6 SR32
(6.32.20340.21001, 5-12-2020)

it occurs not always…

Do you have any command automatically running when Rhino starts, or maybe loading a script?

Rhino should only ask you to save if something that adds data to the file has happened.
For example:
Opening a file and drawing a circle, then should ask you to save when you open another file.
If you open a file and just pan or rotate a view, then open a new file, you should Not be asked to save.

Something is is writing information.

Same problem here, as well at closing. I file (ctrl s), don’t do anything other than menu to exit, and get the message about saving file.
Rhino 7 SR1 2020-12-8 (Rhino 7, 7.1.20343.09491, Git hash:master @ 350b20978b4fcd75493212fbd3c4248983612f86)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-12-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 12-11-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Try temporarily disabling V-Ray in Options > Plug-ins, then restart Rhino, let it complete the viewport creation, then run New.

Any luck?

John,
I disabled Vray 5 & save message went away.
Re-enabled Vray & save message reappeared.
Will McNeel communicate this with Vray Rhino team, or should I?
thanks,
Glenn

1 Like

No commands used, not even panning or rotating.

I do not have scripts running or other than Rhino standard plugins.

You should contact them directly.
At least you know what’s causing it.

Nothing in here:

This has been going on for years:

@John_Brock might want to check this last one as well as it reproduces the issue without V-Ray.

3 Likes

Nope… not even a dot in command lists

In my case, it is due to the Vray plugin, but I didn’t bother to contact them, so I just have myself to blame for once :slight_smile:

Hi Frits -

Could you please try to determine when it does occur?
-wim

Hoi Wim, I’ll try. If found a way, I’ll post it here.

1 Like

I still haven’t determined when, but one thing is very strange. Again, it doesn’t always happen.
Of course, if I open rhinoceros and the cursor is not in the last used files window, a new file opens. When selecting from the menu “Help”, “about Rhinoceros”, and I choose a file then Rhino sometimes asks me if I am sure to save the empty file with the selected file name instead of opening the file …

I did contact Chaosgroup several times about this but they can’t seem to find a fix for it. So this basically leaves you with two options:
1 stop using V-Ray
2 learn to live with it
Developers always say: give me a way to reproduce it and I’ll fix it, yet this case is probably an exception.

I do not use V-Ray. If it is not a Rhino issue, why do I have the problem?

It seems to me somewhere in the code there is accidentally used a save “statement” instead of a open

It doesn’t only happen with V-Ray. I have had it happen occasionally on machines without V-Ray installed as well. It doesn’t happen all the time, and nobody can really reproduce it reliably, which is why it hasn’t been fixed yet.

Something provokes the flipping of the ‘document modified’ flag to True and then Rhino automatically asks you if you want to save when closing. But nobody has yet been able to find out exactly what that ‘something’ is. It was thought to be some sort of plug-in related problem, however, if I understood correctly it has also occasionally happened on installs without any non-standard plug-ins.

Same here I always had this message popup and my thought was this is normal behavior sins it is happening always.